x-post: band revision to sleeve in 2 surgeries...ugh-

soulsister
on 6/1/11 12:59 am - NY
I am seriously re-thinking this repositioning of the band with plication.  I don't have a slip or anything like that.  They are calling my failure with it dysphagia.
I called the surgeon's office about just revising to the sleeve.  I don't want to ever slime, get stuck, or PB again.
He will have to take out the band then wait 6 wks to do the sleeve.  He said he has seen problems with scar tissue and leaks and doesn't want to take the chance.
I am really hating the fact of having 2 surgeries and especially not having a band for 6 wks due to weight gain. 
Has anyone had to wait to like this? If so how did it go?
media604
on 6/1/11 1:43 pm - GA
I am about to have band to sleeve revision and talked to 2 surgeons. One who had yet to do a band to sleeve revision and said that it may take 2 surgeries depending on how "sticky" the band was coming out meaning scar tissue I'm sure. That sounded bad to me. The 2nd one who had performed many band to sleeve revision said he has only run across 1 person that he did not feel he could complete in 1 surgery and decided after he got in there to go with 2 surgeries. The rest of them he said were no problem at all to do it in 1 surgery. I'm praying I'm one of those. Having said all that make sure you are dealing with a surgeon that is willing to do it which ever way is best for your health. Also find a surgeon who is already very experienced in this revision.

italiangal56
on 6/3/11 8:43 am - Cheektowaga, NY
Just get rid of the band and get the sleeve, get what u really want, this is your chance. So what if you gain some weight between surgeries!Get the sleeve!
soulsister
on 6/3/11 11:04 am - NY
I'm getting the sleeve! I called the surgeon's office and it's all set! The band is coming out jul 11th and the sleeve goes in Aug 22nd!
reillye
on 6/7/11 7:34 am
This is how I'm having (had) mine done.  6 weeks ago I had my slipped band removed.  Tomorrow I'm getting a sleeve.  My doc always does revisions this way.  He feels it's safer.  Although I would have preferred 1 surgery, I trusted his judgement.

I've got to say, it was weird to have a "regluar" stomach again after 3 years.

Best of luck to you!
soulsister
on 6/7/11 9:40 am - NY
I bet is was weird having a real stomach after all that time! I'm so worried about gaining weight. Did you gain a lot in between surgeries? The only thing I reallynwant to eat is a sub!
Most Active