It's official -- I have a slipped band. Freaking out and need support

LapbandDawn
on 5/29/11 10:13 am
 Well, I posted a few weeks ago about thinking of revising from the lap band to the sleeve, and it seems now as though I'm going to be forced into surgery whether I like it or not. I had my band placed in May 2006 (self pay) and only lost about 55 pounds, 15 of which I've gained back in the last year. With the recent weight gain, coupled with GERD problems, my doctor had me do another upper GI (I had one last year) and he has officially diagnosed a slip. I recently switched insurance and it doesn't take effect until July 1, but I'm confident that it will cover a revision to the sleeve. 

The thing is that my doctor seems very hesitant to give me the sleeve since my BMI is presently "only" at 32.8. I just hate the thought, however, of getting another band when I've had so many problems with the one I have. Granted, I know that the newer versions are lower pressure, so I might have more success, but I just do NOT want to end up in a situation in a few years where I need a THIRD surgery. 

I keep going back and forth on this. My doctor's hesitancy makes me think I'm nuts for wanting the sleeve as a lightweight and the thought of such an invasive surgery really scares me. But then again, I'm not a huge fan of the band, so another part of me wants this thing OUT now. The one thing I know for certain is that I need something, so having the band removed without any revision is not really an option.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Hislady
on 5/29/11 10:55 am - Vancouver, WA
I strongly urge you to stick to your gums and insist on the sleeve you want. I've been on this site for over 3 years and believe me when I tell you once you start having band issues it just doesn't get better. I've seen it happen time and time again. I've seen people end up having at least 3 surgeries by having one band replaced with another that just ends up going bad too and they then have to revise to another surgery. If your surgeon isn't comfortable doing the sleeve ask him to refer you to someone who does. Good luck hope it all ends well!
media604
on 5/29/11 12:26 pm - GA
I agree with the last post. Do not get another band!  Problems will continue. I've had 2 of them. You can read my post to Rani on the board from tonight. It provides all my details.

I am approved for the sleeve and about to revise this month after 2 bands, both full of the same problems! Best of luck. I've had 7 years of misery with 2 bands and wish I had never done it.

And remember as you get older you may not be considered a light weight, you could keep gaining with more band problems and the older you get the worse the weight is on your health. At age 30 I could carry an extra 100 lbs. with no health problems. At age 50, and extra 50 lbs. mean weight induced health problems.
LittleMissSunshine
on 5/29/11 12:36 pm

I'd point out to your doctor that your current BMI is only where it is because of the limited success you've had with the band (and cite any shortcomings it had that prevented you from being more successful... in ability to eat chicken salads, etc.) and without ANY restriction at all, you'll be right back to where you started before you had the band.  Ask that he consider your candidacy for the sleeve based on your original BMI... if he won't, seek a 2nd opinion.

I was originally scheduled to get a LapBand, but backed out and switched to the sleeve after reading about all the complications people have.  I was just sleeved on Monday, home on Wednesday and was at Chuck E. Cheese's for my son's 5th birthday part on Saurday.

The surgery isn't that bad...  I had it built up in my mind to be far worse than it actually was and I think that's pretty common among most VSGers.

Feel free to swing by our forum and ask around if you want more info on the VSG, there are tons of people there happy to share their experiences.  You can also read through what my experience has been thus far on my blog.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

LapbandDawn
on 5/30/11 12:47 am
Thanks so much for the helpful replies. I'm fairly confident I'm going to go with the sleeve, but I'll need to find a new doctor since mine has only done one band to sleeve revision and I prefer someone with more experience. I really hope the sleeve works better for me than the band. 
Band to DS
on 5/30/11 2:24 am, edited 2/4/12 3:23 am
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Stacey-71
on 5/30/11 4:37 am - OH
I also agree, having just underwent a revision surgery to have my band removed. I think your decision for a sleeve is a great one and will work similar to the restriction portion of your band, just minus the whole nasty "too tight / too full" issues. Ugh! 
I think it will be worth it to take the time and find a surgeon who is capable and has done this revision surgery several times before because with bands, our stomachs are going to have some damage that is different from a "virgin" stomach. I wish you the best of luck!
Most Active