Anyone had an eroded band removed and revision surgery at same time?

widenet
on 5/7/11 9:53 am
After 5 years of living with my band it will be coming out on May 18th.  I have done okay with the band (I have gained about 35 pounds over the past two years).  I recently found out after having an EGD that my band has eroded.  I was devesated at first but I guess I really knew something was wrong because I could eat larg(er) portions than I could in the past.  I had absolutely no symptoms of an eroded band besides the weight gain.  

My surgeon said that he may be able to revise my band into a sleeve during the same surgery if the damage isnt that bad.   I am keeping my fingers crossed.

TamaraL
on 5/7/11 1:03 pm

not being negative but please prepare yourself that he may only be able to remove the band.  If your stomach has eroded pretty bad the doctor will only remove the band.

When I went into surgery for my revision from lap band to RNY.  My surgeon tried everything in the world to get me to understand that I could wake up and not have the revision done.  My concern had been that my BMI was so low I was afraid they wouldn't approve the RNY at a later date.

If the erosion is bad they will want the stomach to heal before doing the sleeve because the complications will be higher.

widenet
on 5/7/11 1:32 pm
 Thanks!  I am keeping my fingers crossed.  From what I understand my band is not badly eroded (other wise they would have taken it out weeks ago).  It is not an emergency situation.  I am really hoping the revision is done because I know my insurance will not approve it at another date...I am starting to regret having this lapband :(
Holly O.
on 5/7/11 2:17 pm - FL
I hear you! I had the lapband 4 1/2 yrs. ago...........in the process of a revision to the RNY..........see my surgeon the 23rd............I will post again then...........hoping for one surgery!!
   Holly                                      
Wishmeluck123
on 5/7/11 10:40 pm
Wishmeluck123
on 5/7/11 10:42 pm
Wishing you lots of luck! Scary stuff.......I just had a revision on April 28, 2011 - and doing great. -18lbs already 50-60 more to go!

I did not have the band before I had the RNY - which over the past 10 years had a mechanical failure and a partial user failure (me) lol.....But I am off on the right track....You will do wonderful once have everything fixed. I have realized no matter which way you go it is just a tool!

Keep positive and keep us posted....Best wishes....

Melissa~
Balynn34
on 5/8/11 3:57 am
VSG on 04/04/12
The same thing happened to me!  I had absolutely no symptoms besides the weight gain, which I tried everything in the world to prevent...when we couldn't figure it out we did an endoscopy...my band is 50% eroded (which explains everything according to my surgeon!)...he told me he can't do the revision at the same time because any erosion makes the situation more dangerous.  Best of luck to you!  :)

Barbara    

widenet
on 5/8/11 6:15 am
 Thank you all for your comments and support.  I am just hoping and praying everything goes well.  I refuse to put anymore weight on (which ever way it goes).  I work out 6 days a week and I am just going to have to start to work out more (if they cannot do the revision at the same time).  I am hoping that all goes well (no matter what happens).  
Most Active