Average Weight Loss After Revision from Band to Sleeve

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 2:54 am
Just to add about my band as well, I had a band that just started to get tighter and tighter over several months. I kept unfilling the band until it just couldn't be unfilled anymore.  Finally I ended up with a slipped band and then the nightmare began.  The last month I had the band I had acid that kept shooting up my throat at night when I was trying to sleep and I was waking up every 20 minutes or so. It was hellish.

I found that I lost most of my weight by not being able to eat solids most of the time. I HAD to resort to slider foods just to survive the band.  As far as weigh loss with th eband, I started at 308 and went down to 284 with the band.  Since revising to VSG two weeks ago I am now down to 275.  I don't plan on dropping much more weight because I am 6'4" and 275 doesn't look bad on me.

Over all, so far, I am very glad I revised.

pattyann
on 5/4/11 3:35 am - Palos Heights, IL
OMG.I want to cry reading your post! You are the first person that i have found that has the same problem as me!!! The Dr's look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that my Lap Band slowly gets tighter. I don't understand why it's happening. Over the past 3 years, I went from 3cc, 2.5ccc,2.0cc, now I am at 1cc and they are taking that out today.  I am scared to death for what will happen once it closes up with no restriction. I cannot get the Dr's to tell me why it is happening!! I am scared to death. I have had the acid come flowing up through my throat and NOSE at night. It is hell. 
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 8:31 am
If it is slowly getting tighter on you then you need to start planning now to have it removed. If your surgeon is not understanding the need to revise at this point then you need to find one who does. Do it sooner than later because insurance approval can take a while especially if you are revising.  If you wait too long you will be sitting there with no fill at all getting stuck and eating maybe one or two solid meals a week and using the other meals to "soothe" the band. When it gets to the point where it slips it gets REALLY bad.

It was so bad that at the end I was vomiting up my acid just so I can sleep.
pattyann
on 5/4/11 9:08 am - Palos Heights, IL
Thank you, I will. I saw my (back up) bariatric Dr today and he said everything was fine and wanted to add more saline !!!!  I am going to see my original surgeon next week, hopefully he will be open to a revision. I see how you have suffered and don't want to go through that. I cannot wait until it is out of me.
Thanks again,
Patty  
kalio
on 5/18/11 12:53 pm
 I am having the same problem with my band I am now at 1.5cc in my band and there are still some days when this is too much!  My doctor is recommending a revision to the sleeve but now starts the fight with the insurance company.  Any suggestions would be great.

pattyann
on 5/18/11 11:16 pm - Palos Heights, IL
I wish I had the answer! If your Dr is recommending it, that's 1/2 the battle. I just keep telling every Dr that I see aboutt the problems that I am having with mine. I have documentation in the bariatric surgeons chart, my PCP's chart, my gyne chart. When the insurance company requests the records, it's all in there. Unfortunately, when I went to see my original surgeon last week, he said that my band looks fine under fluro and that I don't have the medical criteria to revise. Total bummer. I am joining Weigh****chers and starting to exercise (which I should have done from the beginning) to try to stay where I am at with my band completely empty now . If the band closes up with no saline in it, then I will just go to the ER where he operates and take it from there as an emergency situation.
The one thing that the Dr did say that made me feel a little better was that even though I have overall only lost  20-30# since getting the band, I would have probably gained that plus some if I had not gotten the band. He is right about that. (I guess my expectations for the 'magic' band were too high.)
Good Luck with your revision-imagine never having to feel that port again!
Zee Starrlite
on 5/4/11 1:40 am
What's wonderful about it?  Tell all!!!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

ckb70
on 5/4/11 2:19 am - Morrisville, PA
Food does not get stuck, I'm not hungry and I'm losing weight.  What's not to love...I love my sleeve!

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
Zee Starrlite
on 5/4/11 2:32 am

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

USAF Wife
on 5/4/11 12:44 am
I revised 23 months ago. The first 115lbs slid off in 6.5 months which got me to goal weight of 150lbs, and then continued to lose another 23-25lbs while getting into maintenance. I maintained my loss for a year before the pregnancy, and in 13.5 weeks have put on about 7lbs.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active