Average Weight Loss After Revision from Band to Sleeve

Mrs_Desire _
on 5/2/11 6:22 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13
I am just curious as to how much weight a month a person that revises from the band to the sleeve is. I realize that everyone is different. I am just curious.

My doctor is working on the paper work for me to be revised due to having esophagus issues with the band.

Thanks!!!

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

Hislady
on 5/2/11 9:12 am - Vancouver, WA
Try the sleeve board they get more action than here.
Michelle F.
on 5/3/11 4:13 am
I have lost 36 pounds since my revision 2 months ago.  30 pounds to go to hit goal (I have to update my ticker!)  I have to tell you though that the damage the band caused to my esophagus has not been fixed with my sleeve.  Eating is still hit or miss, at least 75% of the time the food still come back up...and let me tell you, it's very different than PB'ing.  This mixes with the stomach acid and it's awful.  I take Prevacid twice a day and the food still sits in my esophagus for at least an hour after eating.  I take the tiniest bites, eat slower than you can imagine and stop way before I'm full.  Some days are better than others.  I'm hoping that it will get better with time.  At least I don't have the constant pressure on my chest that I had with the band, I'm so glad that thing is out of my body!

Good luck!
Zee Starrlite
on 5/3/11 6:57 am
Hi Michelle!

I read your post the other day and I have to tell you that it scared me.  I am sorry that your revision is not working as you had hoped - though I believe that things will get better.

Yesterday I got my approval for the VSG  and I am not sure that I can overcome my fears in time to take advantage of this opportunity.  I keep thinking "what if" because I too believe that I had esophageal motility issues. Dr. Roslin has not confirmed that even though I have asked.  It is 4.5 months since I've had my Band removed and one full year since I had almost all of the fill removed.  I definitely feel like I've done some healing.  Who knows though.  I keep thinking about the display for the different surgeries in the docs office in which it specifically lists esophageal dilation as a possible complication from the Sleeve.  Man, why'd I have to be a fat gal

WASA had esophageal issues due to the band too and I though it has gotten better, I don't believe that it fully resolved.  She loves her sleeve!

Best to you.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Mrs_Desire _
on 5/3/11 10:47 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13
See now I am scared!!!!

I am wondering why my surgeon thinks revision to the sleeve will work for me if I am having esophagus dilation. Oh Lord.....

I am right there with you.... "Why'd I have to be a fat gal"

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 2:48 am
I havent had any problems swallowing or keeping food down yet, but I am only two weeks out.  I moved to mushies on Monday and so far it seems okay.

I had a 36F bougie size and I asked the surgeon to make it a bit large when he did the cut.  This will give me a bit less restriction, but I thought is would make the chance of a stricture go way down.  I havent had any esophagus issues since I had the Lap-Band removed.  In fact as soon as I woke from surgery I felt relief from having the Lap-Band out.
Michelle F.
on 5/4/11 5:57 am

You know how Dr. Roslin is, he avoids what he doesn't know or doesn't want to answer.  I'm sure that your esophagus is pretty much healed by now.  Since I had my revision done at the same time my band was taken out, I guess it's normal that it will take longer to heal.  I'm going to see him Friday morning, I will let you know what he says. I'm sure you know that esophageal dilation is one of the complications of the band too.

I will tell you that last Friday I started taking a 15mg OTC Prevacid along with my 30mg RX Prevacid and my esophagus has been better.  I haven't really thrown up or had any reflux and I have been able to eat.  I've also been making sure I only eat an ounce of solid protein or 3 oz of yogurt or cottage cheese at a time, along with sticking with protein shakes too, so that may have also helped.  I'm hoping that in another month or two I will be much better.

Only you can decide if the surgery is worth it.  At this point in our lives, I think we know that we can't keep the weight off on our own...this is our only shot.  My best suggestion for you is that if you do decide to go through with it, stay on liquids as long as possible, don't rush to progress to solid food so quickly, and when you do, do it very slowly!

I believe you have my cell, call me anytime you want to talk!

Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

ckb70
on 5/3/11 10:15 pm - Morrisville, PA
Hi there!

I had my revision from the band to the sleeve on April 12th.  What a great thing this sleeve it...simply wonderful.  I'm down 29 pounds!!!! 

Good luck!

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
Mrs_Desire _
on 5/3/11 10:44 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13
Wow!!! That is good to know.  Do you mind telling me what happened with your band to make you get a revision?

ckb70
on 5/3/11 10:50 pm - Morrisville, PA
What didn't happen is the better question...LOL

I had to have a port revision 3 months out, I didn't lose any weight worth mentioning, the band slipped, I had a blockage.  Some days I could not swallow my own spit.

The sleeve rocks!

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
Most Active