Revision from RNY to ??

Angela41
on 4/15/11 2:15 am - Dartmouth, Canada
I am having a revision but want to find out what other people's opinions are about the options.
My options are the bypass or the sleeve.  My Dr. recommended the bypass, although he also mentioned the sleeve.  It is up to me what procedure to have, I'm leaning more toward the sleeve but not totally ruling out the bypass.
Has anyone gone from RNY to the sleeve or bypass and have any advice/stories/info they could pass on to me?
I'll be having surgery soon and need to gather as much information that I can, I'm on overload now after reading so much!!
Much appreciated!!
clpeltz
on 4/15/11 5:53 am
Um, RNY and Bypass are the same thing.  You may want to clarify what your dr is considering.  Is he/she considering doing an ERNY?  And, my personal opinion would be that if you are going to do a sleeve, you may as well do the whole DS.  Weather you do a sleeve or a DS, it is a very complicated surgery and there are a limited few Drs that can perform that kind of procedure.  It is a very tricky thing to put the stomach back together.  Refer to dsfacts.com to get a list of surgeons that can do it.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Angela41
on 4/15/11 9:22 am - Dartmouth, Canada
About 15 years ago I had my stomach stapled.  I never had any re-routing.  The bypass that my Dr. wants to do is to re-route the intestine and re-staple the stomach.  I do not have any problems with my band, I never had a problem with food getting stuck.
I figure that if he's going to re-staple my stomach the same problem may happen again, which is why I'm leaning towards the sleeve.  I don't think the DS is available in Canada yet.....

smileyjamie72
on 4/15/11 9:50 am - Palmer, AK
Yes, the DS IS avaliable in Canada!!!!  Check out this website!!!!!
http://www.dsfacts.com/

CANADA

Quebec
Saskatchewan

Dr. Gagner just moved to Canada from the United States.

Hope that helps!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

lauralisi
on 4/17/11 12:16 am - Dona Ana, NM
Oh my goodness! If you could get a revision to the DS that would be wonderful!!!!!!!
As you may know, the DS is comprised of 2 procedures:
1.  a VSG (the sleeve) which will reduce the size of your stomach, remove some of the hunger -               producing    parts of the stomach. and
2.  an intestinal bypass which limits the number of calories which can be absorbed.

However, the DS is not a free ride.  You must modify your diet to a certain extent, you must take numerous daily vitamins and minerals and you must have regular labwork.

That being said, it is the most successful wls in terms of long term results.  Very seldom do you hear of a DSer wanting a revision to another procedure.

Best of luck to you.

v
Most Active