EGD with Sclerotherapy

Terry P.
on 4/10/11 12:56 am - Wappingers Falls, NY
Updated 4/10/2011 - I had this proceedure done on Friday. The proceedure itself was no problem at all. I had a bit of a sore throat, but that is it. The doctor said I would be in extreme pain for the day, but I had none at all. She said my stoma was 18 mm and it should be 10. She will repeat the proceedure in a month.

The crappy part was that she said my pouch is crazy big. So I would guess when everyone asks if they can stretch their pouch, the answer would be a big YES!!!!  I don't know if you can shrink your pouch to what it was right after surgery. I am following my RNY post-op diet for now and will continue for the next month. When I go for the next EGD, will find out if my pouch is any smaller. 

I just hate that food has so much control of me.   

This is what it is:

How Sclerotherapy Works:

Sclerotherapy, in general terms, is a procedure that treats issues associated with blood vessels. It is an outpatient procedure available for gastric bypass patients who have a dilated (enlarged) opening in their pouch. The procedure may be helpful in preventing additional surgery and may assist the patient with continued optimal weight loss. It involves injecting an irritant around the opening from the pouch to the intestines. The body then reacts to the irritant by constricting (decreasing) the opening.

LAP RNY 06/05/08
Day of surgery 197
Lowest weight 127
Current weight 165
Goal 135

jemma28
on 4/14/11 11:23 am - Houston, TX
Hi!  I'm having my sclerotherapy done this Saturday.  How are you feeling?  Do you notice any more restriction?  Was it painful at all after yu woke up?

Jill

Terry P.
on 4/15/11 8:47 pm - Wappingers Falls, NY
Hi Jill. I am feeling fine, but no restriction as of yet.. My doctor said my stomach was really big so I am hoping having this proceedure will work for me. I never had any pain at all. I had a bit of a sore throat the first day, that is all. I have to go back in May for a 2nd injection. The doctor said it will take multiple times. I will do it again and hope for good results.

Hope you do well.. Terry

LAP RNY 06/05/08
Day of surgery 197
Lowest weight 127
Current weight 165
Goal 135

jemma28
on 4/18/11 2:41 am, edited 4/18/11 2:41 am - Houston, TX
Hey!  Just wanted to update you on my sclerotherapy.  I had it done on Sat am.  When I woke up it hurt like hell!  They gave me pain meds for about 30 minutes and it calmed down.  I still was feeling nauseaus when I left the hospital though.  I went back to my hotel room and slept for about 2 hours and when I woke up I was feeling pretty good.  I am on "slider" foods/pureeds for 5 days to three weeks depending on how I feel.  Dr said my stoma was 25 mm and our goal was 15 mm.  My pouch is tiny...the size of a golf ball.  I can tell a difference because I can only eat a few tablespoons of food before I am nauseaus and full and I stay tha**** for a couple of hours.  I am sticking to the no sipping rule like glue.  It's by far the hardest part of this.  But I am about 4 pounds down since friday. :-)

Hope all is well with you!!

Jill
Jill

Most Active