did anyone have RNY with siliastic ring?

Down200Pounds
on 4/6/11 1:33 am - MA
I had the banded rny....gastric bypass with the permenant ring added.

my ring has closed permenantly, almost all the way.  my doctor cant even open it with an endoscopy anymore...its called stoma stenosis.  i ALSO have ulcers after the ring from NSAID use.

i cant eat food hardly at all. my doctor wants to see me next month in regard to trying to remove the ring.

has anyone had this done????

Ginny, Orange, MA
RNY with Silastic Ring: 7/3/03~Dr. Alan Newhoff, Phoenix, AZ
Total Weight Loss:  #200
[email protected]

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/11 6:27 am
 Hi

I had gastric bypass w a silastic ring back in 2002. Thank God its gone.  I decided to revise to DS  and it was removed. I revise due to gain weight, that damn ring wouldn't allow proteins down but carbs would go down w/o a problem. I was very misserable and hated that ring. I was told thats a FOBI pouch. My revision was about 1 mo ago and I havent yet trown up. before my revision I was trowing up about 3 times a week and this was 9 yrs out. I'm so happy is gone. good luck with finding a good surgeon who can just take that ring out. If you have lost ur weight then just remove the ring but if u have gained weight look into a revision all together.  keep me posted.
(deactivated member)
on 4/7/11 1:01 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Hi! Yes!

I had a prolene mesh band placed around the stoma. It caused years of vomiting and misery. I had esophageal erosion from it.

I was told that with the ring removed, there would be a greater chance for regain, and since I'd already had some bounceback, I decided to follow through with a full revision from RNY to DS. Not many doctors do it. I was lucky that Dr. Greenbaum was only about an hour and half south of me, and on my insurance, so I was able to get it done.

He excised out the ring, took down the RNY pouch, converted it over to the  VSG,and then performed the intestinal switch.

The first couple of months were a bit rough, but after that everything was great. I can eat, I feel normal, and I can't imagine how I put up with that for so long.

I wish you the very best.
(deactivated member)
on 4/7/11 1:06 pm - San Jose, CA
Yehuda on the DS forum is having his Fobi converted to a DS on Monday - I'm sure he'd be glad to tell you about it.
smileyjamie72
on 4/8/11 3:19 am - Palmer, AK

here is the link to Yhuda's post (siliastic ring a.k.a. FOBI pouch):
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4367974/Thepouchedpotat o-is-getting-switched-on-monday/

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active