DECISIONS DECISIONS..BAND TO SLEEVE W/DIABETES

mochasoul
on 4/4/11 9:53 am
Hey OH FAMILY,

I  HAVENT BEEN ON THESE FORUMS IN YEARS. I HAD LAP BAND JAN 09,. LOST 75 POUNDS..GAINED BACK APPROX 20 POUNDS. LOOKING TO REVISE TO THE GASTRIC SLEEVE. I HAVE TYPE 2 DIABETES(GESTATIONAL-PREGNANCY INDUCED) FOR 10 YEARS. IM NON INSULIN DEPENDENT. BUT I REALLY NEED TO LOSE AT LEAST 80-90 POUNDS. LOOKING TO HEAR FROM OTHERS WHO HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH CONTROLING/ELIMINATING DIABETES WITH THE GASTRIC SLEEVE..THANKS FOR ANY FEDBACK...
D-Lovely
Terry P.
on 4/4/11 8:22 pm - Wappingers Falls, NY
Hi. I had RNY-bypass, not the sleeve. I had my surgery in 6/08. At that time, my doctor's office was just starting to offer the sleeve. They were doing it for older folks or ones that had 100's of pounds to lose. They would then go from the sleeve to RNY-bypass in steps. I think that has changed now because at my support meetings, everyone seems to be getting the sleeve done.

I had type 2 diabetes that was getting out of control. After my surgery, it seemed to disappear in about a month. It is almost 3 years now and it has not come back. I have put some weight back on and do eat more carbs than I should, but the diabetes is still missing. I am always worried that it will come back though if I screw this up....   Terry

LAP RNY 06/05/08
Day of surgery 197
Lowest weight 127
Current weight 165
Goal 135

mochasoul
on 4/5/11 9:22 am
Thanks Terry. I appreciate the info.. I will be making a decision this week...Congratulations on your success...Debra....
D-Lovely
(deactivated member)
on 4/6/11 1:24 am - San Jose, CA
Not only are you going to lose less weight and have more trouble keeping it off by revising from one restriction-only procedure to another, you are far less likely to put your diabetes in remission, and far MORE likely to get it back if (when) you regain.

You have diabetes, a metabolic disease.  You need a metabolic surgery.  I hope you are studying the DS as well, as it has the BEST rate of resolution - CURE! - of diabetes, which doesn't return even if some weight is regained.
USAF Wife
on 4/6/11 10:18 pm
Head over to the VSG board to get actual personal experience with diabetes resolution with VSG. I personally never had diabetes, but there are plenty of other patients that have lost all of their EW, and had complete resolution of their co-morbidities without malabsorption. You can also check out the VSG maintenance board where there are others that are more than a few months out, sharing their stories of maintenance, and strategies for success.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

mochasoul
on 4/7/11 12:19 pm
Thanks Diana..I appreciate the refl info...
D-Lovely
mochasoul
on 4/7/11 12:30 pm

USAF Wife,

Thanks for the link I am definatly looking for feedback from people living with  Diabetes and the VSG option. Thanks for being positive as well...Ive read some pretty nasty posts..Its so sad...

D-Lovely
Most Active