WLS covered under plan last year but not now

chessie1
on 4/4/11 6:48 am - Glen Burnie, MD
After calling my insurance last year to make sure WLS wasnt excluded.I started last July doing the 6 month weight loss classes. I completed evrything in Dec. WLS was a covered benefit last year with my insurance (IBX). On Jan 3rd I had an appointment with surgeon and as it was a new year I wanted to be sure it was still covered. I was told that it was by a rep at company. So I continued on with appt with surgeon and also with nutritionist and psych consult. Insurance paid all of these. All of my paperwork was sent to insurance and I got a pre-cert #. Ten days later (feb 17th) while I was waiting for decision I went on their interactive site and by chance saw that WLS was now excluded from my policy. I thought that it couldnt be true so I called company and was told that yes it excluded. A few days latter I received a letter denying the surgery.   I complained to a supervisor and he said he would listen to recording of phone call (they record everything).  He called and left a voicemail that I have saved that states that the rep did say it was a covered benefit. He also said that IBX would be responsible for all services thru Feb 17th when I called and "educated " myself that it is not a covered benefit now He said I could appeal. My first appeal was denied also. IBX apologized for the "incorrect information" but said WLS is excluded. I tried to tell them that this "incorrect info" is what made me continue with the process and pay out copays, miss work etc.s    I'm in the process of a second appeal. I have a conference call with the board this thurs in morning.( i could attend but I'm in MD and they are in philly and when I dont work I dont get paid). This whole thing makes me nauseous and gives me a headache everytime I think about it. I feel like they slapped me in the face. I did everything IBX required me to do. I dont have much hope for thurs if they are going to stick with the exclusion argument.  Help! 

askibx
on 4/5/11 3:55 am - PA
Hi Andrew - we saw your post and would like to help. Please fill out the secure Inquiry Form below, and an Ask IBX team member will look into your issue and contact you directly. www.ibx.com/askibx

Sincerely,
Ask IBX Team
chessie1
on 4/5/11 10:05 am - Glen Burnie, MD
Lets see what you can do ibx.com/askibx
Most Active