EGD Sclerotherapy info

Terry P.
on 4/2/11 6:35 am, edited 4/10/11 12:52 am - Wappingers Falls, NY
Hello. I am hoping to get the Sclerotherapy procedure done soon.  If you had it done, does the doctor do an EGD and decides while in you that he/she can do the procedure on you? Has it helped you with restriction?  I am confused because my regular surgeon gave me a referral for a gastro doctor and they scheduled an EGD. They said they would explain everything to me right before the procedure.... So far, my info has all come from the internet.  Maybe just a very odd setup at the gastro doctor's office??? I would think someone would explain what they are going to do and the after care...  I usually deal with a military hospital and their doctors. They are very percise in their care. It seems that not all doctor offices are the same.. Thanks for any info you can offer.  Terry 

LAP RNY 06/05/08
Day of surgery 197
Lowest weight 127
Current weight 165
Goal 135

jemma28
on 4/3/11 11:55 pm - Houston, TX
I'm having it done on the 15th with Dr Kuhn here in Tx.  I am having to travel from Houston to Dallas to do it.  I can tell you that not very many dr's do it.  Dr Kuhn is the only one in Texas that I know of.  Sclerotherapy is NOT the same as stomaphyx or the rose procedure.  They go in, similar to an EGD, and inject a scarring solution to the circumfrence of the stoma to cause scarring to make the stoma smaller.  Sometimes it can take several treatments over a 6 mo period.  It is a same day procedure and no hospital stay is required.  It is the onlt "revision" type procedure that my insurance will pay for.

I know I will be having several as my stoma is 35 mm (about 3 times what it should be).

Here is my dr on his youtube channel describing the procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofXmkpx-qo

Jill

Terry P.
on 4/4/11 1:36 am - Wappingers Falls, NY

Thank you for the info. I do not know what my stoma is but since I have no restriction at all, I am thinking it is not what it should be. I have all my info in to the insurance company and will see the gastro dr this Friday. I am hoping they can fix my problems.. I was so happy when I was slimmer. I worry about all the weight coming back and that would just be the pits!!!

LAP RNY 06/05/08
Day of surgery 197
Lowest weight 127
Current weight 165
Goal 135

Zee Starrlite
on 4/4/11 7:29 am
Not very much doctors do this because it has proven not to work.  Don't do it, please!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Cheryl J.
on 4/7/11 2:34 am
It's a WASTE OF TIME! I did it with one of the best bariatric surgeons, and the procedure doesn't it work!  It hurts like HELL, and you get 2 minute restriction, and then it's gone and left you with scar tissue, which makes it harder for the next procedure.

Put it this way:

I had the Sclerotherapy 1x treatment (refuse to do it again)
Then the LAP BAND (what a joke!)
Looking for something that makes more sense, looking into full DS or ERNY.
Terry P.
on 4/7/11 5:32 am - Wappingers Falls, NY
Thanks for your reply. Sounds pretty crappy. Bothers me that I had RNY for a reason and now it is like I never had it at all. I guess some of us have to just except that being slim is not an option for everyone..   Terry

LAP RNY 06/05/08
Day of surgery 197
Lowest weight 127
Current weight 165
Goal 135

Most Active