RNY rEVISON TO LAP BAND

AmyLH
on 4/2/11 1:44 pm, edited 4/2/11 11:14 pm

hi -

i am seven year out from my RNY,  Orginally i had lost 150 pounds and gained back 100.  Recently my endoscopy showed a VERY enlarged pouch and have been approved to a Lap Band revision,  Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.  We are all in this battle together so anything I hear would be helpful.  Will the pain be the same as the RNY?  What type of weight loss can i expect when I follow the rules? When could I expect to get fills? When will I start feeling restriction?

Thanks to any that reply.

aanmarie
on 4/3/11 12:00 am - NY
Hello
I have the lapband and im having a revision to RNY tommorrow.In all honesty I hated the band ,but it does work for some.I got my first fill about 3-4 weeks after surgery..I did have some pain at the very begining meaning that day and night,then it was tolerable.I wouldn.t reccomend the band but then some people love it.Best of luck to you
AmyLH
on 4/3/11 12:22 am
best of luck to you with the RNY.
SharByTheSea
on 4/3/11 2:42 am

Good Morning....I am just the opposite from you...I am seven years out with the LapBand and will have the RNY revision on 4/26.  The Band worked great for me for the first 3 to 4 years, then I started having problems....severe acid reflux, hiatal hernia, not able to tolerate a fill, and hungry all the time!  Lost 85lbs and kept it off till this past year and now have gained back almost 30 lbs.
I am really apprehensive about the RNY revision, as I was so agains*****ears ago, and now I am having it in a few weeks!  Don't know what to expect...will I be able to live with this? What about the side effects?
So we are asking the same questions.
The pain level, for me, was very minimal...
The weight loss will be much slower with the Band
you will probably get your first fill in 6 to 8 weeks
Restriction is a strange thing....mine would come and go...maybe tight in the AM and could eat anything in the PM....very different for everyone.
I wish you much luck with the Band...just follow the rules...
Ciao,
Sharon 

amberd910
on 4/3/11 9:35 am - CT
I have had the LapBand since 12/23/2008. I HATE it. I am having a revision to Gastric Bypass on April 27th.

Some people feel restriction with just the band, others it takes many fills. I had the 14cc band and needed 7 cc (which was about 4 fills) before I felt any restriction. And I was always hungry. When I say for me, feeling restriction, I could not eat certain foods without it getting stuck (bread (not toast), some rice, etc).
Do not forget you are going to have a device inplanted in you, and an access port. Some dr's put the port up along the bra line, some along your ab area (where you bend, to the side). Mine is where I bend, to the side. It took a few days before I was able to move around ok due to the fact they sew this thing on your ab muscle. But again, each surgeon is different where he/she places the port.
My total weight loss in 2 1/2 years was 32 lbs, I gained back 25 when they drained it due to severe acid reflux.
Each person is different and will react differently. Best of luck to you!

Amber
MsBatt
on 4/4/11 5:54 am
Have you also explored to possibility of converting your RNY to a DS? It seems to be the most successful form of revision, from what I've read on these boards.
AmyLH
on 4/4/11 6:39 am
i'v thought about that but I am severly anmeic and that could be a problem.
MsBatt
on 4/4/11 6:58 am
Bummer. Does your doctor think your anemia is due to your RNY?
smileyjamie72
on 4/4/11 10:00 am - Palmer, AK

Have you really researched anemia & the DS?  Just curious.  I do know through my research, that since the guts are re-arranged (different between an RNY and a DS) that there are different points of absorption.  That is all I am getting at.
I would honestly ask Vitalady.  She is VERY knowledgeable!!!!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/vitalady/

Hope that info helps!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 7:33 am
Sorry, I would never recommend the band.  I think you will find that most of the revisions  on here are people moving away from the band. I was okay with the band until about 2.5 years out then it just started getting tighter and tighter the more time went on. 

Now, I am completely unfilled and miserable. Sometimes I can eat solids, but it has to be sliding solids.  I miss being able to eat healthier foods... if I was to even try now I would get stuck on them QUICKLY.  Getting stuck with a band is HORRIBLE.  You want to shove a coat hanger down your throat to pu**** through, but instead you just get flushed red in the face and usually end up vomiting.

The acid now is unbearable.  I wake up in the night choking on acid and sometimes that is even when I am sleeping upright.   I find that if I lay on my left side it is better, if I lay on my right I will fill up with acid in no time.  This is probably because of a slipped band.

I am waiting now for it to be removed and I am converting to the VSG. I know that a lot of band people have converted to the VSG or the DS and are way more happy.

Good luck to you and please make a well thought out choice.
Most Active