Stomaphyx

Donna B.
on 3/23/11 10:14 am, edited 3/23/11 10:23 am - Osceola, IN
Does anyone know the name and location of a surgeon who does the stomaphyx proceedure? Or the cost? I think it is also called the Rose procedure.
Heather S.
on 3/23/11 11:22 am
Hi Donna,

You may wan to try Dr. Alexander Abkin in Florham Park NJ @ Advance Laprascopic Surgeons.  He does the "NJ Rose".  Although he is quite a distance from you might be a good place to start even to get a referral to a doctor in your area.  From what I understand the ROSE procedure is fairly new so I'm not sure what type of info he may have.  Good Luck
Thank You,

Heather

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/11 11:54 am - San Jose, CA

Save your money and find a revision procedure that actually WORKS.

Donna B.
on 3/25/11 1:32 am - Osceola, IN
Did you have the rose or stomaphyx following your RNY? I had mine 8 years ago and did great until about a year and a half ago.Started packing on the pounds again. I am sure I have streached my pouch.
lauralisi
on 3/24/11 11:52 am - Dona Ana, NM
Please be smarter than I was.  I wasted $8,000.00 plus travel expenses.  I did not loose one pound!
I finally got smart and had a revision to the DS.

good luck

f

i
smileyjamie72
on 3/25/11 5:33 am - Palmer, AK

From what I have read on here, there is intial weight loss from the liquid diet & then everything is regained. 

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Renfairewench
on 3/25/11 11:40 pm

A lot of insurance companies won't pay for the ROSE or Stomaphyx procedure because they don't work.  Consider a revision to a different surgery. Research the Duodenal Switch, RNY, and VSG before spending money on a revision that doesn't work.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

HoopersJudge
on 3/25/11 11:52 pm - hamilton, NJ
Both ROSE and StomaPhyx have very low success rates, if at all. I had StomaPhyx and lost 30lbs that I kept off for about 18-mos to 2yrs. I regained it all. I believe the cost is $10k-$16k. My insurance company covered it but most do not.

The good thing about the procedure is taht it is not invasive and you can have it multiple times. So, I guess if you want to have the procedure every 2yrs, it will work... I would not define that as a successful solution, though.
Lisa N.
on 3/26/11 3:36 am - Williston Park, NY
 I had the stomaphyx and it did not work.  I lost 30 pounds and then gained all the weight back and more.  I had revision surgery from bypass back to a bypass on 11/29/10. The way my first surgery was done was that my pouch was made too low. A ds or sleeve could not be done. Everything was completely redone. When my surgeon got in, he said my pouch was HUGE!!  He said it was attached to my abdominal wall.
   Lisa
JROLFSON
on 3/28/11 6:28 am - St. George, UT
I know how you must feel hearing the negative results and comments concerning the Stomaphyx...When I first heard about it I thought wow, this sounds like something that would work for me...However, I read, read and read about it and decided that because your stomach is like a balloon and stretches this would be just another disappointment and most likely even worse than my other 2 surgeries as they were actually successful for 20+ years...The biggest majority of your weight you lose on the liquid diet and you may lose up to 15 more pounds due to having the procedures but unfortunately it will not last....Unless you have made a huge committment to change every bit of your lifestyle, and that's the hard part...I knew I could adjust and change some but not enough to do it entirely on my own....This procedure once completed and you are healed leaves you right back on your own...It is almost always self pay, up to $10K...If your going to spend that kind of money why not go all the way and have something that truly works like the DS...

Wish I had better news to present...Sorry!

Janie Rolfson
Most Active