Band to RNY revision

EricaQ
on 3/21/11 8:56 am
Hi,

I had my Lap band surgery on 3/22/07 (wow, just realized it will be exactly 4 yrs. from tomorrow)!!!    I lost 75 lbs. in the first year then gained almost all of it back.  My dr. sent in a revision request to my insurance last year and it was denied, he appealed, and it was denied.  I have new insurance this year and we re-submitted (the same that I had my initial surgery with) and we submitted the revision and they MIGHT cover it.  I had to go to the psych visit and dietician again per my insurance and just finished those. 

I'm scared to death as one big reason I had the band was because I was SCARED by the horror stories of some RNY's, re-routing my insides, and the life long committment.  But I feel like it's the ONLY thing that's going to make me healthier in the long run. 

Anyone out there have success (or not as successul) stories of Band to RNY experiences they can share?  I'd very much appreciate them.

Thanks,
Erica
TamaraL
on 3/21/11 9:47 am
Erica,

I had lap band on January 2009 and had my revision on October 8th.  I started out at 218 with my revision and now weigh 173.  I am very happy with the surgery. 

Just make sure that you are dedicated to the new way of eating and eat right and get your exercise in.

Tamara

doz216
on 3/21/11 11:58 am
hello ,i was afraid as well i had may band in on 23dec08 lost 0 had it taken out for rny 16mar11 so far so good down 6lb in less than a week
DOZ216  FROM BAND TO RNY 16MAR11                  
Ladytazz
on 3/21/11 12:41 pm
Have you considered the VSG?  It is a purely restrictive procedure so there is no re routing of intestines.  There are a lot of successful lap band to VSG revisions.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MsBatt
on 3/22/11 7:01 am
I too suggest you research the Sleeve, and the DS, while you still have an intact stomach. What is your current BMI? Do you have any co-morbs, like diabetes or high cholesterol?

The Sleeve is a restriction-only surgery, but unlike the Band, it actually WORKS, for people who don't have a screwed-up metabolism. However, you need to remember---yo-yo dieting and the Band can really screw one's metabolism.

The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus a malabsorption component. Yes, it does require a life-long committment to daily vitamins and supplements---but so does ANY WLS, if you really want to be healthy. It's the malabsorption component that gives the DS the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss stats, AND the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs.

We have a LOT of Band-toDS and RNY-to-DS posters over on the DS board. Come on over and talk with some! You can also learn more about the DS at www.dsfacts.com
Caraat231
on 3/24/11 9:03 am
I just had my revision on 3/7/11 from band to RNY. The recovery is not great but I feel amazing. My insurance 1st denied me (due to lost paper work on the insurance end) and 1 week later I was approved. I was scared to death but glad I took the risk. Go for it, it's worth it.

Cara
EricaQ
on 4/4/11 1:40 am
Thanks to all of your replies.  I have looked into the sleeve a lot too, but since I haven't done well with the just restrictive lapband I figured I'd be the same with the sleeve too. :(  Therefore, I was thinking the gastric would be better for me and FORCE me to stop drinking sugary drinks, etc.  Plus I was told my insurance doesn't cover it (at least not yet).       
Erica Queen  
Lapband - 3/22/07
Revision to RNY - 9/13/11

Most Active