3yrs later. . .145 (RNY to DS conversion)

Ms S.
on 3/13/11 6:09 pm
I planned on taking some sexier pix to show ya'll - maybe put on some makeup, put on some nice clothes and do my hair; however one of my twins is sick today and when I finally remembered, I had my neighbor hurry up and take pix in my front yard this evening so I could post them tonight.

No, I haven't posted here in 100 yrs but my old and new profiles give plenty info regarding my loooong journey to health.  Looking back, I don't know if I ever truly believed it was gonna happen.  I think a part of me was certain my second chance at WLS was going to fail (if I EVER got approved****il I learned about the DS. 

Once I got to the DS forum, I ran with it and haven't regretted it since. To newbies and revisions: Take your time. Learn about the DS. Don't believe the hype - get the facts for yourself and make the decision for yourself.  DS it and you won't regret it.

I would absolutely like to have my plastics done *yesterday* but can't seem to bring myself 'there' yet.  Not necessarily financially (cuz if it woulda been done already) but psychologically (self worth issues etc).  I know I will eventually but my body has seen worse than my dropping face, sagging arms/thighs, empty boobs and hanging pannus.  

Funny: Even with all that, I STILL feel better about myself in terms of looking at my reflection than I did before.  So,  I can learn to suck in my belly -- but could use some help learning to stuff my bra (LOL).

Will do some nicer pix perhaps but for now, I hope these will suffice...THANK YOU DS BOARD!

(Copied to revisions because it was here that I learned about the DS)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

smileyjamie72
on 3/14/11 2:20 am - Palmer, AK

WOW!!!!!  You look amazing!!!  Thank YOU for sharing your update with us!!!!

The DS board ROCKS & so does the DS!!!!!
-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

airbender
on 3/15/11 9:32 am
any word on your revision appeal? don't give up....
Hislady
on 3/14/11 10:37 am - Vancouver, WA
You look absolutely amazing!
Shawnta H.
on 3/14/11 9:56 pm - Ellicott City, MD
WOW Sharon you look amazing!!! I only wish I had taken the DS route in 2007.  In case you don't remember I had the ERNY and it was a complete waste of time.  Now I am fighting to get a DS .  I am actually on the boards this morning to get advice on individual plans that will cover the procedure.  I am so happy for you and I can't wait to be able to share my success story.

Shawnta
Ms S.
on 3/17/11 1:48 pm
Hey Shawnta!  Long time no see!  Keep fighting for the surgery - it took me years to get the right job, with the right insurance to get the right procedure for me but all told, it was worth it in the end. In due time it will happen for you.  I'm not familiar with individual insurance plans to be able to tell you but I had my insurance through my employer at the time (Citibank).  Seemed like everyone was being approved (at that time anyway-dont can't speak for now).

Luv Sharon

tochatty
on 3/15/11 12:58 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I would love to talk to you more about your surgery.

I had Open RNY almost 11 years ago and currently looking into DS and would like to get all the information I can. 

You look so fantastic and I would love  to have a second chance at life and weight loss surgery.  I have learned a lot in the last 11 years and its time to take back control of my life and my health.  I have spent far to many years at this weight!!!!

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

Ms S.
on 3/17/11 1:57 pm
Like you, I was an Open RNY and had an Open Conversion 10yrs after the RNY.  I appreciate my DS all the more because of my RNY experience. I'll try to answer any questions you might have - I can only speak to my experience though. The folks on the DS board can give you more medical/clinical details than I could.  I just know that this surgery did for me what I could not do in my entire lifetime: lose the weight and keep it off. 

Luv Sharon

Eleanore Davis
on 3/15/11 3:41 am - Penn Hills, PA
@tochatty - your numbers are like mine!  Lowest weight 174... Highest weight 316... Current Weight 258.  It is amazing how we can eat and eat clean through our surgery.  I don't think that I know anyone in Pittsburgh, PA that does DS.  I have read a lot about that but that is all.  It is hard to get a bariatric surgeon to do what you want them to do here in Pittsburgh.  My original surgeon left town and I am supposed to get another RNY with his "partner" who is not very friendly and NOT very interested in my case.  I always feel like he does not want to be bothered with me.  Oh well, I don't have to like the man and he does not have to like me to do my surgery... but it sure would HELP having someone you feel comfortable talking with.  I am getting my revision May 9th and I just hope I lose some weight.  Oh well that week right after surgery where you can't eat a thing... surely I will drop a few pounds during that time if no other time.  Pray for me!
Ms S.
on 3/17/11 2:18 pm
Good luck to you on the surgery - I have to agree on the feeling comfortable with the person you're having surgery with...bedside manner does make huge difference and it also helps in the healing process because you tend to be, well, more comfortable!
Here's to a non-eventful and nicely medicated recovery!
Luv Sharon

Most Active