????What are your thoughts on revision from Lap Band to RNY????

MsBatt
on 3/13/11 8:04 am
The Band damages your metabolism the same way that VLC diets do---by making your body think there's a famine in the land.
aanmarie
on 3/13/11 8:46 am - NY
Could you please elaborate on this a little more.I'm not sure I understand what you mean by famine in the land?Why wouldn't the DS respond with this famine in the land as well?I was never on a strict low calorie diet with the band.Please explain as I'm really interested in this.Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 3/13/11 2:19 pm
The easiest way to find out what it means is to go to dsfacts.com, there you should be able to find a good explanation.
MsBatt
on 3/14/11 5:08 am
On March 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM Pacific Time, aanmarie wrote:
Could you please elaborate on this a little more.I'm not sure I understand what you mean by famine in the land?Why wouldn't the DS respond with this famine in the land as well?I was never on a strict low calorie diet with the band.Please explain as I'm really interested in this.Thanks
I think Inge has already explained to you how the Band is the same thing as yo-yo dieting, so I'll address the "why doesn't the DS do this, too?" part of your question.

The way the small intestine is re-routed in the DS (and, to a much lesser degree, in the RNY) has a positive effect on the damaged metabolism. Suddenly, instead of striving to hold onto every possible calorie, the body is actively burning MORE calories. The changes it causes in our biochemistry 'fools' the body into thinking there's an over-abundance of calories available, so let's spend some!

The LapBand has been around since 1993, and the long-term results are becoming worse and worse as time goes by. The DS has been around since 1988, and the very FIRST DS patient is still going strong and loving his DS. Perhaps you just need to research more.
Amy_Kleve
on 3/15/11 4:13 am - Adrian, MN
Do you know why more surgeons dont preform the DS? Or why insurances are not covering the DS if its been around longer and has more of a success rate?
MsBatt
on 3/15/11 5:07 am
On March 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM Pacific Time, Amy_Kleve wrote:
Do you know why more surgeons dont preform the DS? Or why insurances are not covering the DS if its been around longer and has more of a success rate?
More and more insurance companies ARE covering the DS, since Medicare endorsed it a few years back. But the DS COSTS more, so they frequently deny the first request, hoping people will just go away, or settle for something less costly. It's not like insurance companies care more about patient well-being than they do making a profit. (*grin*)

Doing the DS also takes more skill, more time in the OR, and more time to learn than the other WLS procedures do. I think we'll be seeing more and more YOUNG doctors fresh out of school doing the DS, and we're already seeing a lot of mature surgeons adding the DS to their skill-set. But it takes about six months of studying with an experienced DS surgeon---i.e., about six months of MAKING LESS MONEY---to gain this skill, and not all surgeons can or want to have that sort of reduction in their income.(BTW, as more insurance companies have started covering the DS, we're been seeing more surgeons learning to do the DS. They sort of go hand-in-hand.)

And---the DS has sort of been a "best-kept secret" in the medical world for a number of years. Even seven years ago when I was researching, finding complete, ACCURATE info about the DS was difficult. And there are still many, many medical professionals who ask "What's a DS?" when I mention mine. In fact, outside my surgeon's office, the very FIRST medical proffessional (sort of) that I came in contact with who knew what a DS was was a STUDENT NURSE. So there's hope for the future. (8grin*)
Annie Mayzing
on 3/13/11 11:21 am - Saunderstown, RI
I had my band out Dec 7, 2010 and revised to RNY. So far so good. I've lost 42 pounds already and the total with the band was only 30. I am so glad to be rid of that band. Also, I don't agree that the band messed up your metabolism. Yo yo dieting did that. It is interesting to read the posts from the people who have had the DS. A few in particular believe the DS is the only way to go and are very passionate about it. Research your options. One thing I am sure of is that you can still lose weight. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/11 2:16 pm
And what do you think the band is, if not yo yo dieting. If after some weightloss with your band you regained, you have yo yo'ed. For everytime you lose and gain with or without a band your body wants to hang on to weight even more, the body doesn't know you are doing it to just lose weight. Your body thinks you are in a famin every time you cut your calories/protein etc. so it hangs on to the fat even more, meaning you have to go on a even lower calorie diet. So next time...... same thing over and over again. Pretty much until you just can't seem to be able to lose at all.

Read some studies, papers have been written many times over where it has been documented that calorie restricted diets never work.  
How many people do you know that can stick to a Low calorie diet for the rest of their lives, and I don't mean for the next 1 - 2 or 3 years, FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.
We couldn't do it with the band so why would you think it will work with an RNY, considering your benefits of not absorbing everything you eat will be gone in a couple of years. Then you will be back to where you are right now, absorbing everything you eat exept for the vitamins and minerals that your body need to stay healthy.

So, the honest question you will have to answer to yourself, will you be able to eat low calorie for the rest of your life and put up with all the other problems that come with that surgery, the problems that don't go away.

I really wish you the best with what you decide.
aanmarie
on 3/13/11 10:22 pm - NY
When I had the band put in,very few people were unhappy,now almost everyone I talk to is unhappy.My point is the DS is still relatively new.It seems to work great for most(that''''''s how the band board went too}Who knows what is going to happed down the road with the DS.We all have yo-yo dieting problems that is why we opted for wls.Just have to find the one that's going to work for you
(deactivated member)
on 3/14/11 3:13 am, edited 3/14/11 3:13 am
Not quit "NEW". The "new DS" was first done by Dr. Hess in 1988.
Here is a link for you to check out.

http://www.dshess.com/

The actual BPDS has been around for a lot longer then that even.

Compared to that the band is brand spanking new.

IMHO you need to educate yourself just a bit more about what the different surgeries will do, how they do it and what is involved. It took me a while and a lot of money to finally understand what this is all about.

Good Luck
Most Active