????What are your thoughts on revision from Lap Band to RNY????

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/11 1:07 am - San Jose, CA
You should listen to your new surgeon - he's right.  You have damaged your metabolism with a first restrictive bariatric surgery, and you are proposing to revise to a barely-malabsorptive procedure in which after a while, there is little to no CALORIE malabsorption, but plenty of vitamin and mineral malabsorption.

You should look into the DS, as you have been told, and fight your insurance company to make them cover it.  Almost every time, the insurance companies LOSE when the patient appeals all the way to external medical review to get the DS - the external medical reviewers KNOW it is has the best results and is not unduly malabsorptive, despite what surgeons who can't do it and insurance companies who don't want to pay for it LIE about to their patients.
Amy_Kleve
on 3/12/11 1:30 am - Adrian, MN
I agree. I dont know how to fight my insurance company though
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/11 1:35 am - San Jose, CA
Well, then you have more research to do.  You will not be the first one to do this, and information can be found here as well as on the DS forum.
MARIA F.
on 3/13/11 2:40 pm - Athens, GA
There is info on this post about insurance appeals and some sample letters:

http://www.formerlyfluffy.com/bariatric-surgery-insurance-appeal/

FormerlyFluffy.com

Amy_Kleve
on 3/15/11 4:11 am - Adrian, MN
Thanks, I might need this
MRS.GLOVER
on 3/17/11 5:10 am
I went from the lapband to the RNY and I love it.. I have lost so much weight its crazy since November 22,2010.. it's the best thing I could have ever done. Good luck!

_rebecca
on 3/21/11 12:20 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
On March 12, 2011 at 7:44 AM Pacific Time, Amy_Kleve wrote:
I love these success stories!
My sergon retired. I got a new surgeon that talked to me about revising from band to RNY. He looked at me, basically told me that if the band didnt work, RNY wont either! I was so heartbroken after all of the research I had been doing!
I'm going to consult with 2 other sergons in my area and find one that has confidence in me and the revision! I might just show this to those surgeons and show them all of the success that is happening!

THANK YOU ALL!!

I hope you find a new surgeon.  You deserve better.  The bands fail because they break, slip, and just plain don't provide restriction.  It has nothing to do with you.  I recently had a revision from band to sleeve and I am doing awesome with my weight loss.  I LOVE my sleeve.  Keep us posted!

aanmarie
on 3/12/11 1:26 am - NY
Hello
I am having a revision to the RNY on 4-4-11.My doctor encouraged it.I have to many health problems to do nothing.I don't know much about the DS but from what I hear it's also a good choice.I've never heard that you damage your metabolism from the band,so Im hoping that's not the case.It's completely different surgeries.I hated this band and I see alot of success stories for the revision to the RNY and DS.So just go with you gut.Good luck
Amy_Kleve
on 3/12/11 1:32 am - Adrian, MN
Thanks, my gut keeps telling me this band isn't working and I've got to do something instead of nothing. I need to do all I can to be here for my 5 kids as long as I can. It's hard when my doctors are telling me there is no hope for me.
aanmarie
on 3/12/11 1:39 am - NY
Why do they feel there is no hope?There is always hope.My doctors office is so supportive so I can't imagine what your feeling.There is hope.I would get a second opinion.The band stinks.I believe the band fails people more than help them.There are a few that it works for but so many that it hasn't.Don't give up.
Most Active