????What are your thoughts on revision from Lap Band to RNY????

Hislady
on 3/13/11 2:38 pm - Vancouver, WA
I very much wish I could but my insurance no longer covers any WLS and I certainly can't afford self pay. My only hope is that medicare will cover them in the near future and you can be sure I'll be first in line for a sleeve!
terilynn112
on 3/20/11 7:31 am - maryland, NY
dear medicare does cover revisions... That's who paid for most of mine

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

bufedwards
on 3/11/11 10:13 am - Hustonville, KY
It depends a lot on how much weight you want to lose, your BMI, and whether you want to keep your pyloric valve or prefer the possibility of dumping syndrome (I know some RNY'rs that feel this is a benefit and deterant to eating the wrong things). I revised from a Lapband to the DS, but my reasons were related a great deal to my BMI and potential of greater success with a DS over an RNY. I did not want Dumping and wanted to keep a fully functional stomach with a pyloric valve instead of the pouch and stoma route.

However, it is a very personal choice and has to do with what you are personally comfortable with. Research, research, research. Also, if there is nothing mechanically wrong with the band, depending on your insurance you will have an uphill fight.

Good luck!

Highest Weight:  564 /  Post Band Pre DS Weight:  508 / Surgey Date Weight:  449
Current Weight:  209 / Goal Weight:  150 (BMI of 25).

Amy_Kleve
on 3/11/11 11:34 pm - Adrian, MN
As I mentioned in a previous comment, I have researched DS. I would love to go the DS route, but no surgeon in my area will preform that surgery. My insurance company will not pay for the DS either 
My insurance will cover revision from band to RNY, of course Im going throuh all of the requirements: 6 months of medical supervised diet and so on....
I'm at a BMI of about 48. I would like to get to a healthy BMI. If I get dumping syndrome, I think that would be a benefit for me. I was never really into sweets anyways. I just eat too much good stuff

Where did you have your DS? Did your insurance cover it?

bufedwards
on 3/13/11 11:48 am - Hustonville, KY
 I got my DS in Nashville, TN with Dr. Hugh Houston.  I was lucky that he was a provider in my insurance network.  My insurance did cover the revision.  I didn't have to do all the inital requirements over, I just had to prove medical necessity and mechanical complication of the band.  

Highest Weight:  564 /  Post Band Pre DS Weight:  508 / Surgey Date Weight:  449
Current Weight:  209 / Goal Weight:  150 (BMI of 25).

TamaraL
on 3/20/11 8:45 am
AMy,

Keep in mind only 30% people with RNY have dumping syndrome!!  I had reactive hypoglycemia with the band and have it also with the RNY.  I also have dumping syndrome.  Some days I can eat a little  fat or sugar, other days I am curled up sick in the bed. 

You can also dump from high fat foods and I have had my worst attack with japanese food

Tamara

CindyLyn
on 3/11/11 11:04 am - Evadale, TX
I was banded 3 yrs ago and in the past 2 yrs  have had nothing but problems.  I went for a consult today to to revision from Band to Sleeve.   I have about three months of test and nutrition classes but will be having surgery in June if everything works out.  I think you have to speak with a surgeon and discuss all of your options.  After talking with mine today  I feel more comfortable with the Sleeve. 
Good luck.
Amy_Kleve
on 3/11/11 11:40 pm - Adrian, MN
Wow, you are on the same track as me! I have 3 more dietary visits as well. I hope to have my revision in June or July.
What made you decide Sleeve? I remember a part about the sleeve was that about a year after a lot of patients get another revision to RNY. I thought, why not just go with the RNY right away?

terilynn112
on 3/11/11 10:57 pm - maryland, NY
I am a band to rny revision. I'm just two months post op. I looked into the other surgeries, and opted for the RNY. I had 100 pounds to loose. If I loose more fine, if i loose less, well it's ok too. I already lost my diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea (the last two developed witht he band in place). I love my RNY!

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Amy_Kleve
on 3/11/11 11:44 pm - Adrian, MN
I love these success stories!
My sergon retired. I got a new surgeon that talked to me about revising from band to RNY. He looked at me, basically told me that if the band didnt work, RNY wont either! I was so heartbroken after all of the research I had been doing!
I'm going to consult with 2 other sergons in my area and find one that has confidence in me and the revision! I might just show this to those surgeons and show them all of the success that is happening!

THANK YOU ALL!!

Most Active