????What are your thoughts on revision from Lap Band to RNY????

Amy_Kleve
on 3/11/11 4:33 am - Adrian, MN
I've had the Lap Band for 4 years. I haven't had ANY weight loss (if so, I gain it all back)!!

My band is fine, no mechanical failure. I've had several fills & also have also been too tight at times. I've tried everything!

I've been thinking of revising to RNY. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions????

MsBatt
on 3/11/11 5:29 am
While you still have a (relatively) intact stomach, research the DS (duodenal switch) before you make your decision. The DS is the WLS people revise to when the RNY doesn't work, but that's a very difficult revision---you might just want to go with the DS to begin with.
Amy_Kleve
on 3/11/11 11:24 pm - Adrian, MN
I would love to go for the DS. But, surgeons in my area will not perform the DS. My insurance will not cover the DS either. I asked my nurse why they don't, they said its too malabsorptive.
MsBatt
on 3/12/11 12:29 am
On March 12, 2011 at 7:24 AM Pacific Time, Amy_Kleve wrote:
I would love to go for the DS. But, surgeons in my area will not perform the DS. My insurance will not cover the DS either. I asked my nurse why they don't, they said its too malabsorptive.

Minnesota

Henry Buchwald, MD, PhD
Email: [email protected]
Sayeed Ikramuddin, MD *
University of Minnesota Medical Center
Weight Management Center
Phillips-Wangensteen Building
First Floor, Clinic 1E
516 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone: 612-626-6666

If your insurance covers ANY WLS, then most of the time you can force them to cover the DS, if you choose to appeal. As for your nurse's opinion, that's all it is---an opinion. I'm willing to bet your nurse knows very little of the FACTS about the DS. Try talking to an actual DS surgeon and see if he or she thinks the DS is not a good option for you.

The DS IS a malabsorptive procedure, as is the RNY. The biggest difference is that with the RNY, you cease to malabsorb CALORIES after about 18-24 months, but you will ALWAYS malabsorb critical vitamins and minerals. With the DS, you will always malabsorb CALORIES as well as vitamins and minerals. This is why the DS has the very best long-term, MAINTAINED weight loss.

Amy_Kleve
on 3/15/11 4:09 am - Adrian, MN
Thank you for all of your information! I'm going to call or e-mail to find a good DS surgeon and get a consult

I found a few that are in my network. The one you listed is in my network as well as St Paul Surgeons LTD. Do you have any recommendations on a good surgeon?

MsBatt
on 3/15/11 5:11 am, edited 3/15/11 5:13 am
Anyone on this list is considered a "vetted" DS surgeon. By that I mean the DS community---a pretty close-knit group, for the most part---have compared notes and have found them to be reliable and trustworthy.

Go to the DS board and ask about surgeons in your area. I had my DS done in Nashville, TN, and my surgeon is now retired.

www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html #mn

Edited because I forgot the link. (*blush*)
nessa3678
on 3/11/11 6:50 am - LA
I had lap band in 07' and revised on June 29, 2010.  I have lost 95lbs and hit goal weight in 9 months.  It was the best decision I've ever made!  I love my RNY!
    1st goal reached in 6 months!                     
    2nd and final goal to reach by 4/29/11...(10 months post-op)
Amy_Kleve
on 3/11/11 11:25 pm - Adrian, MN
WOW---GREAT JOB!! That story is SO inspiring!! Thank you so much for sharing with me. I hope I can follow in your foot steps
Hislady
on 3/11/11 9:41 am - Vancouver, WA
I'd say revising from the band to anything else is a good idea! It hasn't done a thing for me either. I wish you the very best luck whatever you revise to!
Amy_Kleve
on 3/11/11 11:28 pm - Adrian, MN
Are you looking into revision as well?
Most Active