Who is the top US surgeon for RNY to DS revision?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/21/11 5:37 am
The top ones that always get mentioned are these;

1. Dr. Keshishian (CA)
2. Dr. Rabkin (CA)
3. Dr. Elariny (VA)
4. Dr. Stewart (TX)
5. Dr. Gagner (Canada) some have concerns about his practice.
6. Dr. Kemmeter (MI)

If it were me, I'd go to CA. Either one is CA. They are really the top guys.
MsBatt
on 2/21/11 6:43 am
I don't *think* Dr. Stewart is doing a 'true' conversion---I don't think he re-does the stomach. But I could be wrong.

MsBatt
on 2/21/11 6:45 am
I don't know that there are in 'facts' about who's the best. You have VERY few to choose from, especially if you want to stay in the US. If *I* was seeking a revision, especially an RNY-to-DS revision, I'd go to either Rabkin or Keshishian. Greenbaum also has a very good rep, but I don't think he's taking on any more revision patients at this time.
Kilaani
on 2/21/11 12:34 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I always do hear good things about Dr. Rabkin. I also previously had heard things about Dr. Husted but can't seem to hear anything about him lately. Dr. K does frequent revisions, but not sure on his overall results. The main thing to ask if if they do a complete takedown of the original RNY and reroute with the full DS and the stomach.

I think my doctor Dr. Baltasar does a great job but he's not in the in state list, of course.

Jill - revision - band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain
440/140/149  hw/cw/gw - 5'5" -300lbs -- bmi 73.2 to 24.8 :) GOAL MET 10/26/10!!.... Even made 140 September 2012. Been ranging 4-6lbs from 144-146 since then. Back to 140 December 2012, hoping to see it again after I feel better and start working out. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/11 4:57 pm
Thanks all. I'm leaning toward Dr. Rabkin or Dr. Keshishian. The only problem is coming up with the money. They are both on my insurance but I heard that they charge thousands above and beyond what insurance pays. This is just what I've heard, however. I need to call them and find out for sure what kind of money I'd be looking at.

Once again, thanks.
ANGELOJOS27
on 2/23/11 8:18 am - Phoenix, AZ
DS on 02/05/13
Don't oust Dr John D Husted. He's in Arizona. He wrote the DS info for OH and has a couple shows on Discovery health for "Big John" He is wonderful professionally and personally. Sometimes I forget I am at a doc appt. Some people have questioned his moving so much in the last five years, but I have been working with him for the last five months and I wouldn't choose anyone else.

Banded on 7/1/09,cool removed on 11/11... Switched on 2/5/13. Ticker includes 23lbs lost on preop diet...          

zuzupetals2u2
on 3/1/11 8:00 am - Sedona, AZ
I had my surgery from him in Dec 10 and I was very pleased with him also but apparently there are past issues that prevent some of the DS vets on here that wont recommend him until some issues are resolved with some people-??

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

WASaBubbleButt
on 3/2/11 1:16 am - Mexico
On March 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM Pacific Time, zuzupetals2u2 wrote:
I had my surgery from him in Dec 10 and I was very pleased with him also but apparently there are past issues that prevent some of the DS vets on here that wont recommend him until some issues are resolved with some people-??

There is a LOT of BS info flying around the boards about Dr. Husted such as he left his Kentucky patients high and dry.  That is a complete load.  It was the hospital that quit doing DS, not Husted. It was the hospital that canceled the surgeries and not Husted.  That is just one example of many.

It's all to push another doctor and if you dare to stick up for this man and his reputation than the rabid ankle biters come yapping and snarling.

Bleh....

The issues are with the posters, not the doctor or his patients.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
zuzupetals2u2
on 3/2/11 1:56 am - Sedona, AZ
that's interesting as you were one of the names of someone who had a lawsuit ot one he wouldnt accept a lawsuit from or something . . hmmmm Ya I would recommend him - there just isnt a lot of communication from his staff but I am sure they would be there if I had questions or issues. I am going there tomorrow on a folow up visit. I know there is also a support group. I am happy with the Ds he performed laproscopically in about 2-1/2 hours revising an old FOBI pouch. I have a 100 cc common channel as I am older her said. I was very impressed with his knowledge and experience with revisions. I think anyone considering one should consider him with an open mind and ask him any questions that concern them. I did and I felt he answered them. I think he does feel there is unfairness on the boards here and even misinformation.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

ANGELOJOS27
on 3/2/11 2:45 am - Phoenix, AZ
DS on 02/05/13
I enjoy him very much. I to asked him many questions about is moves and I too have taken his answeres. Hes a great guy and he is very knowledgeable. I hope I can say I had my SX already but I havent and its not because of him. I am in the apeal stage so we will see how that goes. Hes amazing. I will be revising from the Crapband to the DS.

Banded on 7/1/09,cool removed on 11/11... Switched on 2/5/13. Ticker includes 23lbs lost on preop diet...          

Most Active