possible DS / RNY

KellyWish
on 2/15/11 3:10 am - Merritt Island, FL
I am going to have a weight loss surgery.  I am considering having either the DS or the RNY.  Please give me some feed back.

THANK YOU
smileyjamie72
on 2/15/11 6:40 am, edited 2/15/11 6:59 am - Palmer, AK

Hello there!!!!  I decided to have a revision of my exsisting RNY to DS due to weight re-gain.

I did not know about the DS when I had my RNY in 2002.  Have you checked out www.dsfacts.com
on your research journey?

Anyways, I like the idea of being able to "eat more normally" with the DS.... You can eat more fats (I like fats, they satisfy my hunger) I like the idea of NOT having a pouch, but a 'smaller' NORMALLY functioning stomach, with the pyloric valve in place.  Not to mention if you need a scope (EGD) done, they cannot scope your blind pouch with the RNY, but can scope your entire stomach with the DS.

By far, my BIGGEST one is: NSAIDS..... (Ibuprofen, Aleve)............. With the RNY, they are out of the picture.  I have flare-ups in my shoulder, and I am getting older, just turned 39.  How did that happen!!??!!??

And lastly, this link is a comaprison ((July 18, 2009 is the post date you need, about 5-6 down)
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/hayley_hayley/

These are just a few off of the top of my head
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/11 8:51 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I revised from the RNY to the DS. We hear a lot about people revising from the RNY to something else, be it band over bypass, rny to Erny, or to the DS. Then there are those who unfortunately waste their money or Stomaphyx or ROSE due to unscrupulous doctors.

It is extremely rare to hear of anyone revising a DS. There's one person on this board who did, however, she has pointed out that there were other issues going on. She might not have had the true DS, she continued a high carb lifestyle, etc.

If I had known back in 2003-2003 when I was researching what I know now, I would have gone with the DS right off the bat. That doesn't mean it's the right choice for you, only you can determine what's right for you.

If you want to research the DS go to dsfacts.com and read up. If you decide you want it, go with one of the surgeons who are listed. Others say they do it, but once you get in they talk you out of it. The doctors listed there are known for their skill.

Good luck. :)
lauralisi
on 2/21/11 11:47 am - Dona Ana, NM
Hi, Kelly,

I had a RNY in 1999.  Lost a lot of weight.  Gradually gained most of it back.
Allowed myself to be talked into a Stomaphyx to repair the RNY and wasted thousands of dollars. I was desperate.
Finally, I investigated a thread on this board.  It was a "surgery war" among the DS, RNY and VSG.
A lady named Diana Cox, who was incredibly blunt in her no-nonsense approach, gave me the info I needed to investigate the DS.  Prior to this, NOT ONE SURGEON TOLD ME ABOUT THE DS.  Then, when I specifically asked about the DS, I was told the Most outrageous inaccuracies about the procedure!  Of course, these were told to me by surgeons who did not *do* the DS. Nor was I referred to a surgeon who did the DS for an accurate opinion.  I really believe that they were trying to prevent the loss of $$$.
Thanks to Diana Cox and others on this board, and especially dsfacts.com. I got the additional info I needed and decided on the DS.  I LOVE it!!!!!!.. I lost weight, can eat normally( like I'm on Atkins) and no bathroom issues unless I overindulge in carbs.  Yes, I'll take supplements for life-so what?  It is part of what in necessary to treat my disease.
Your choice may be different than mine, but I wanted you to understand some of what went into my choice.  Best of luck to you!!!
Most Active