DS Revision

Catnip
on 1/27/11 6:48 am - Ottawa, Canada
HI Guys,

I had a DS in June of 2008, I lost about 125 pounds in the first 6 months but nothing after that.  At this point i have gained back about 10 lbs and am fearful of going back to where I was before.

I have spoken to a surgeon about getting a DS revision.  He thinks i would be a good candidate as I have about 80 pounds still to lose and my BMI is 36.  My stomach restriction is good and we are discussing an adjustment of my intestines only.  As per the operative report I had a lot of my stomach removed and we are waiting on a Upper GI series to see what my stomach looks like now.  Since I can only eat about 1.5 cups of food he is thinking the stomach is not the issue.

At this point I would not consider getting my stomach re-sleeved, I have heard too many horror stories and i think it is too dangerous.

I am wondering if anyone has had only their intestines revised or is considering this surgery?
What have the outcomes been?
Opinions? Will the intestinal revision would be enough?

thanks
catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/11 7:17 am
What exactly is involved with a revision of the intestines?
Catnip
on 1/27/11 7:58 am - Ottawa, Canada
They are going to shorten them,  I think they will shorten both the alimentary channel and the Common channel but by how much is the question.

From our discussions yesterday (very brief) he wants to shorten the alimentary channel more so that i absorb fewer carbs  but still get enough protein.

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Melontiwst
on 1/28/11 6:00 am
I'm in the process of a DS revision too!! Except I am getting resleeved, nothing to my intestine this time. I can eat more than a cup and a half of food that is for sure!! I can get a 8 ounce prime rib, side salad and two rolls in!!! Craziness!! I lost close to 200lbs and have gained 10 back and stayed there for over a year...I still weight 245...not acceptable:0)  My surgeon said resleeving isn't anymore dangerous the second time than the first time because my sleeve was left bigger than they do it now. They left me with a 6 ounce stomach and it has stretched out!! Just finishing my 6 month supervised diet and then we are going to apply to insurance...work for a hospital so insurance is pretty good!! HOPE it works!! I actually worry more about the intestines cause of blockages and things like that, BUT I'm not the expert and it may just be as good as a stomach revision. I bunches of people slam me for posting about my revision, but I'm good to go with it now:0) I wish you the best luck and if I hear of anyone that has it done I will let you know!!!
airbender
on 1/28/11 7:05 pm
suggest posting on the DS board.  there are people who have had the intestinal bypass adjusted either made shorter or longer on the  board, hopefully someone there could answer your question. 
MsBatt
on 1/30/11 6:20 am
Back six years or so ago, I remember reading about a couple of people who had an intestinal revision to their DS. One was a young girl, around 20 I think, who just stopped losing at about sixty pounds down---just BAM! When they when in, they found that her common channel had grown from 75 cms to 175! (Apparently she was a VERY good healer.) I can't remember her name, and she no longer posts, but I seem to remember she did VERY well after they shortened her CC again. I don't think she had ever had any bowel issues, either before or after the revision.

The other one was not as young, but in her mid 30s I think, and she too had had significant regrowth of her CC length.

Anyway---keep us posted on how things go, and by all means let us know if you turn out to have regrown your CC. When I first heard about this, it scared the crap outta me, because I am generally a very good healer, too.
Most Active