So, my surgeon was right...

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 10:23 am
On January 22, 2011 at 9:46 AM Pacific Time, Sharon C. wrote:
I got my RNY in 2005 and recently went for a followup visit and my doctor told me the same exact thing.  Its a risk that it can become very canerous and that as a precaution he also recommends removing it.   I think its up to the surgeon and what they are experienced with.  Looks like I am headed down the same path as you so you are in good company. ;-)  My doc told me he recently had a patient in which he removed a very cancerous old stomach.  United is a good plan to have and I am sure you will get approved before you know it.  I use to have United and my first approval was back within a week.  I wish you the best of luck!  Plano, S*
Sharon, when you say United are you referring to United Health Care? Because that's the health insurance I have.

Lynda
Sharon C.
on 1/30/11 11:07 am - Plano, TX
Lynda,

Yes, United Health Care was the first Insurance Company that approved baratric surgery.  They are very good about processing and approving claims.  I would still have them today but the company I work for no longer offer them as a provider.  I had to switch to Aetna. 
shana lewis
on 1/23/11 7:41 am - TX
Thak you ladiesfor your anwers....but my surgeon was right about the cancer part...I feel more tan comfortable with him...I look forward to letting all of you know how my revision goes...just waiting on approval!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/23/11 1:27 pm - San Jose, CA

Wow.  Just wow.

Of course the unused portion CAN get cancer -- so can a normal stomach.  Once he removes your stomach, though, there's no further options.  I would NEVER have this done unless there WAS cancer in there.

Good luck with that.  If this doesn't work, you're screwed.

tonnabug
on 2/7/11 8:16 pm - Huntsville, AL
Revision on 04/29/13
Ok, since this post has mentioned stomach cancer & you had DS, I would like to ask a question - if that's ok.  So let's say a DSer gets stomach cancer in the small part of the stomach that is left??  You have to "extra" stomach to work with (by that, I mean to remove the sick stomach and somehow "reroute" with the healthy)!!

Is this accurate??  That kind of does worry me! 

Thanks
Tonya

Began journey in 2007 at 312, had Lap band 2008, lost 40 pre-op then 24 post op, regained to 319.  Lost 39# on my own, then revised to VSG 4/29/13 @ 280.

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/11 11:27 pm - San Jose, CA
Your question doesn't make a lot of anatomical sense.  But I will try to answer it anyway.

With the DS or the VSG, most of the stomach is removed.  Yes, if you were to get cancer, and some of what was left had to be removed, you would have an even smaller stomach left - which would stretch out after surgery.  If there was so much cancer that the whole stomach had to be removed, you'd essentially end up with an RNY.

However, what you are NOT factoring into what you are asking is (1) with a sleeve, you have a lot less tissue area that can GET cancer in the first place; (2) because the stomach is smaller, something going wrong might well by symptomatic sooner, and (3) the sleeve is completely accessible to endoscopic examination, whereas with the RNY, 90% of the stomach is in the blind pouch INACCESSIBLE to endoscopy - it requires surgery to examine it, and stuff could go wrong in it for quite some time before there would be any indication that anything was amiss.

Not sure what "rerouting" you mention might mean.
MsBatt
on 1/30/11 6:25 am
On January 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM Pacific Time, shana lewis wrote:
Thak you ladiesfor your anwers....but my surgeon was right about the cancer part...I feel more tan comfortable with him...I look forward to letting all of you know how my revision goes...just waiting on approval!!!
Can you give us more data to support the "but my surgeon was right about the cancer part" statement? I mean, there are hundreds of thousands of RNYers out there, and if they were dropping like flies, I think we'd have heard about it.
bookfaerie
on 1/23/11 3:15 pm
 Your surgeon is wrong. Period. You say he is right and you trust him, but please go back and look again. EVERY RNY PATIENT HAS A BLIND STOMACH!!! If they were dropping like flies from cancer don't you think surgeons across the country would be removing them???? 

Do blind stomachs get cancer sometimes? Yes. Just like connected stomachs get cancer sometimes. This is part of life and has nothing to do with whether you have a blind stomach or not. 

Get a new surgeon. Be responsible for your health and do your research. Or not. I guess everyone has a right to blindly follow their Dr. I hope you change your mind and do some serious critical thinking. This is your life. Your family. You made a mistake the first time... why make another?

"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
shana lewis
on 1/23/11 10:15 pm - TX
Ok ladies, maybe I didnt explain this correctly...

He is NOT removing the whole thing...there will be part of the floating stomach left; he said that removing part of it will reduce "hunger pangs" that you may feel, which will lead you to be more successful with the revised RNY
He is fixing the RNY that the first surgeon in Chicago didnt do right( left the pouch too big) and now my intestine has streched, which I understand can be very dangerous, hence the need for a revision

I really appreciate all you ladies being concerned...makes a gal feel good!!!
I would NEVER go on blind faith when it comes to my health- Ive done extensive research on him and otehr surgeons in my area, and he has been recommended highly even by other surgeons

Maybe I didnt explain it right the first time- so Im sorry to worry you all!!!!
Ill find out exactly what he plans to do today...after hopefully finding out Im approved!!

If you want a friend, show yourself friendly!!

romany
on 1/24/11 12:03 am
Hello,
     I had a very long and complicated surgery Oct22nd.It took 8 hours,it involved take down of fundoplication,lysis of adhesions ,repair of huge Hiatus Hernia....yes my stomache was in my chest.Because of the length of time in the OR my surgeon did a gastric sleeve.I had pulmonary oedema and atelectasis post op.That is to be expected when the surery is so long. I have several underlying health issues...just to keep it interesting.
     I can not eat solids they just come back up.I had a Flouroscope with contrast which shows oesophageal dysmotility.So now I am booked for a gastroscopy Jan 31st.    Then I am going to the USVI for a few weeks,I need a break. I will have surgery upon my return to Canada....sleeve to Roux en Y.....Not really looking forward to it but I don`t have much choice....I will keep you posted
Most Active