Who deleted my post!?!?!????

VBG_1998
on 1/15/11 10:03 am

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vbg/4304255/Since-when-has-being-a-light-smoker-been-a-cause-for-being/   (HERE IS THE ORIGINAL LINK)

I posted something an hour ago about receiving a letter from Dr. Hoehn's office today. 

Simply put, this doctor has conflicting information on the OH site, his personal site and the ASMBS so I asked his office to confirm the number of procedures he has done and for two weeks I got excuse after excuse.  Neither of these sources stated that he did revision surgeries, but when calling his office they said he does.

So, in the meantime, I was filling out a packet they called the "REVISION PACKET".  They lost a page of the packet and waited a week to call me that there was a page missing.  In the meantime, I contacted the hospital medical records for verification of the procedures he does through there and they would not provide it.  

drum roll..........................   I get a letter today from his office saying I am not a candidate for revisoin surgery because I smoke.  I do not drink (do not like alcohol), NEVER done drugs, do not take any medication, have no co-morbidity issues....

Sounds like Dr. Hoehn has something to hide.  You don't tell someone they aren't a surgical candidate because they are a smoker.  I listed on their form that I smoke 1 to 2 packs a week.

¡Que se vayan

p.s.  This post is being saved!

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 10:06 am - Bayonne, NJ
Back when I had my RNY, I specifically remember my surgeon saying he wouldn't operate on smokers because of the increased risk of pulmonary problems. It wasn't an issue for me, but he made others quit (and prove they quit via lung function tests).

VBG_1998
on 1/15/11 10:09 am
My point is that its awfully ironic that I have been pushing for verification of his surgical history as I feel a revision surgeon's skills are VERY important and I am taking the responsibility of researching a would be surgeon very serious.

All he had to do was tell me that I would have to complete a smoking cessation program successfully prior to surgery.

As far as I'm concerned it just confirms to me that he has something to hide.
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 4:05 pm - San Jose, CA
OH caters to their paid surgeon sponsors.  I can't wait to see what happens to my post.

Although I can't find it on the site now, this was posted in 2007, and I presume the same benefits can be bought now - it's just that OH is hiding it from the patient members: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/3446619/OH-Surgeon-List /

Post Date: 11/9/07 10:25 pm

I just looked at the OH surgeon list and then the "Surgeon Sign-Up Packet" and it is obscene. They want $997 a year from surgeons to be listed. Among the list of odd benefits to being a member, the most creepy benefits are the following Big Brother-esque items:

a) "PR Watch--we scan the web daily for patient-generated comments. We can spot and rapidly bring critical items to your attention."

Do they mean the web, or the OH site? So, basically, watch what you say about your surgeon. OH is watching.

b) "Enhanced patient promotion--we can make our pre-op members even more likely to interact with your satisfied post-ops."

What the heck does that mean? Creepy.

VBG_1998
on 1/15/11 11:44 pm
Indeed, pretty creepy from the perspective that people come to sites like this in search of unfiltered information about surgeons, hospitals, etc to try and help them make informed decisions.  There is an assumption that unless stated otherwise on the website that that is what we will get.

Your post showing what doctors can opt-IN for a fee just demonstrates that nothing should ever be assumed....
Nicolle
on 1/15/11 11:48 pm
I knew that language sounded awfully familiar! I followed the link and it was from ME! A little time-capsule from the 2007 "me." How lovely. Glad to see I am STILL a pain in the ass 4 years later.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Most Active