ru-n-y to a distal ru-n-y

randy S.
on 12/8/10 8:32 am - brooklyn, NY

I had appt today with Dr. Greenbaum.  Let me just say he really is caring and understanding.  But surprisingly he felt that changing mu gastric bypass to a distal ru-n-y would allow me to drop 40 pounds.  I am 240 pounds and 5'10 but I want to weigh 160. 
I do not want to go through another procedure and then gain more weight again.
Should I tick to my original wish and go with DS is is that much more dangerous.
Please ping in.  You guys out their are my only source of reference for me.
How did the change fron regular bypass to distal help you out????

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/10 9:15 am - Bayonne, NJ
Personally, having been in your shoes, I think that the distal rny is much more dangerous in the long run. The DS is more surgery because they have to take down the pouch and convert you, but many people with the distal RNY have complained about severe malnutrition.

I went from 221 to 163 with the DS revision.

I guess it all depends on your operative report from your original surgeon.
randy S.
on 12/8/10 9:24 am - brooklyn, NY
So why do you think Dr. G was trying to talk me out of it??????
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/10 9:27 am - Bayonne, NJ
It could be because of your operative report, or because he's familiar with the way your original surgeon performed the RNY. Not everyone is able to have the revision due to different ways that the pouch was created. Email and ask him why he felt that the Ds wasn't the best choice in your case.
randy S.
on 12/8/10 9:31 am - brooklyn, NY
okay will do, great idea.  Thanx.
WASaBubbleButt
on 12/8/10 10:13 am - Mexico
On December 8, 2010 at 4:32 PM Pacific Time, chocolate wrote:

I had appt today with Dr. Greenbaum.  Let me just say he really is caring and understanding.  But surprisingly he felt that changing mu gastric bypass to a distal ru-n-y would allow me to drop 40 pounds.  I am 240 pounds and 5'10 but I want to weigh 160. 
I do not want to go through another procedure and then gain more weight again.
Should I tick to my original wish and go with DS is is that much more dangerous.
Please ping in.  You guys out their are my only source of reference for me.
How did the change fron regular bypass to distal help you out????

There have been several people posting on this forum about having RNY, then revising to ERNY, and then having to revise again to undo the damage done from the ERNY.  Malnutrition, odors, chronic diarrhea, massive weight loss, the works.  And remember, you are going to quit malabsorbing again eventually and could you be in the same boat you are today?

Wouldn't it be nice to take a Motrin again someday? ;o)))))

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Monique H.
on 12/13/10 5:46 am
Whenever I see someone going from RNY to Distal RNY I post the Idependent Medical Review decision that was made in my case. Please keep in mind that I'm referring to Distal RNY and not Extended Rny. Extended Rny seems to be a bit more drastic and people have been having a lot of issues with it. Distal RNY which is what I had is really close to RNY. It is what they are referring to in their decision below:

A 37-year-old female enrollee has requested bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) for treatment of her obesity. Findings: The physician reviewer found that the medical literature supports the opinion that the performance of a revisional procedure similar to the initial operation will fail in many instances, because the basic problem is metabolic and not mechanical. Rapid gastric emptying, as seen in this patient’s case, leads to an enhanced insulin response resulting in either hypoglycemia or hyperglycemic episodes, and the most dramatic rises and falls have been associated with small pouches and wide anastomoses. Duodenal switch is a medically appropriate solution to the problem. If this procedure is not performed, the patient’s comorbidities will likely worsen. Thus, bariatric revision surgery (duodenal switch) is medically indicated for this patient.

I had my surgery revised to distal rny. I went from 272 to 218 (for a couple of days) then back up to 236. I worked out a lot and ate the same things everyday to make sure I wasn't eating what I wasn't supposed to. In the end the surgeon basically said that I have not metabolism and if he could keep me at the weight I was he considered me a success. That sure is funny because I felt like a complete failure. Since I didn't have the revision I originally wanted and just accepted what my surgeon wanted to do I basically lost out on time. I should have just fought for revision to ds in the beginning and I would probably be at goal right now. That is not saying that the ds will definitely work for me, because I won't know that until it HAS  worked for me. I'm just saying that the ds has the best documented results for people. Good luck in whatever you decide.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
randy S.
on 12/13/10 9:54 am - brooklyn, NY
Dear Monique,
G-D Bless you!!!!.  You r the person I was waiting to hear from.  I kind of instinctively new he was trying to sell me a bag of doo doo so as to keep the posibility of complications down.  I will get all my tests done as requested because my bmi is 35 and try to get approved with sleep apnea and then I will plead my case.  Dr. greenbaumis still the best guy I can go to for a revision fron RNY to DS. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH.  It was what I needed to be sure that I am going to demand the DS revision.  I do not want to be struggling with this anymore.  I beleive with the DS I will finally be free of this albatrose on my back.
Good luck to you.
Randy (I just spell it like a guy)
Monique H.
on 12/14/10 5:45 am
Randy you are so welcome. Sometimes I wonder if that is the reason I went through two revisions, so that I could help someone else. I do know that it is a real struggle as far as the head games that I deal with. After having two procedures not work for me and I'm still not sure the DS is going to work for me. I worry everyday, but I do know that with the documented results that if it doesn't work for me nothing will. I'm just destined to be fat. 
Good luck to you though.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active