Help!! Need to understand revision!!!

scottieinc
on 7/21/10 1:20 pm - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
OK here is my problem!!! I had Gastric bypass 10 years ago I went from 325 to 202 and stayed there for 8 years..No complications felt great was going to the gym 5-6 times a week...Than I was in a bad accident and was lay ed up for 20 months...No gym , 16-18 hours in bed, and no teeth while they had to redo my jaw bone lower and upper for in-plants......
Now I am up and running but went up to 261 and have tried for over 7 months to get some weight off but it seems like my downtime caused everything to change and it did not help that I could and was eating for those 20 months.....
When I had the surgery the LAP had not been approved..Now I have read that you can have the lap even if you had gastric bypass and that's is what I want to do!!!
Call my surgen from my gastric all those years ago and they would not even let me make an appointment or explain options..They said I should go on-line of go to their recruiting sales group(lol)
I know have H-Blood pressure and my Diabetes count  has gone back to the point that I have to take Meds..Which I had gotten off of for 8 years...
I have UHC PPO..
Anyone know how and what I should do and how or what to say to get through the insurance mouse maze!!??!!
Thank you for those who have knowledge and suggestion in advance
Kim.... 
robinwhitehair
on 7/21/10 9:13 pm
Hi I a revision done in April and here is what I had done.  I contacted Cleveland CLinic one of the best for Baractrics Services.  I had to go through baby steps from filling out papers sending them back and them calling me for a consultation.  Everything falls into line and quickly.  You just need to consult in your state the best Baractrics there and call them so they can mail you the packet to get the ball rolling! 
I had regained my weight back after ten years to with a gastric bypass but that is when they still were experimenting.  Good luck and let me know any more questions or just to talk....Robin
JRinAZ
on 7/22/10 2:15 am - Layton, UT
Hey Kim!
Kudos to you for fighting back from a rough road!!!  .....  Your options:

Band over Bypass aka BOB  (minimal help and just tweaks restriction), 

having your common channel shortened and leaving your pouch untouched which is known as a Distal or ExtendedRny aka ERny (more and more bad experiences surfacing with this procedure),

Stomaphyx or Rose (just dont even consider it!  It does NOT work!!!!)

Having your Rny taken down and being revised to a sleeve.  (gives great restriction but doesn't always help the ones who have the higher BMI's to get to their goal)

Having your Rny taken down and being revised to a Duodenal Switch aka as DS.  This will provide restriction and malabsorption while allowing you to still take most medications in life, absorbing more nutrients than an ERny and you have your piloric valve.  The DS has the best lifetime statistics and is the really big gun with tackling weight loss!!!

I went through 2 other weight loss surgeries before finally revising to a DS!!!!   It's not a learning curve I would recommend for anyone!

A revision is very high risk and so you don't want to just flip through the yellow pages or even go to the local neighborhood surgeon.  There are only 3 or 4 surgeons in the U.S. who qualify.  You're lucky since you're from CA.  Check out Dr. Keshishian or Dr. Rabkin.

Please pleez pls read through the facts on www.dsfacts.com

The DS forum has some extremely knowledgeable and helpful peeps too.  There are oodles who have had revisions from Rny to DS and can guide you.

My understanding is that UHC PPO is a gold standard GREAT insurance for WLS.

Good luck!  Let us know how we can help you!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

StacysMom
on 11/17/21 2:33 pm

JRinAZ, I recently read online that Dr. Eric Schlesinger passed away in April of 2021. I am curious as to what happened to him. Do you or anyone else know what caused his death?

StacysMom
on 7/22/10 4:11 am
 Kim, if your surgeon's office is making you waste time by jumping through hoops and sitting through another group lecture ... it's time to change surgeons.   It sounds as though your original doc is running what I like to call an RNY "factory", where they usher people through like cattle, give them all the same "cookie cutter" surgery and then are done with them.  It is doubtful he has much revision experience based on what you are saying.

The way you are talking about LAP, I believe you are meaning the Lapband?   The initials lap also mean laparoscopic procedures, so it is confusing.   It appears you are looking to the BOB (band over bypass) in order to renew your restriction.   So, when you call doctors' offices, you need to ask if they do the "band over bypass".   Don't let them dictate what you should do ... YOU decide on what kind of revision YOU want and then find a doc who will do it.  

karenh1127
on 7/22/10 5:14 am - Deer Park, TX
I am doing rny over lapband.  I have UHC POS and it is great insurance.  There are no limits on how many wls you can have.  My same surgeon is doing the rny and is very supportive.  He does all the different surgeries and I couldnt be happier that he is doing the rny.  Good luck on your journey!

stillhopefull
on 7/22/10 6:56 am
I have UCH PPO and they have a once in a lifetime clause in my policy.  I hope I can get them to approve my RNY to DS.  If not I guess I stay fat.  Good luck!!
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
Most Active