Lap Banders?

Lori061179
on 6/20/10 2:07 am - Malden, MA
hello,
I had the Lap band done in april 08.   My experience after surgery was fine.  almost like i did not even have surgery.  I got down about 50lbs in the first 6 months then just stopped. slowly putting 40lbs back on.  I had a total of about 5 fills and had the band drained twice for complications.  i do have frequent pains near the port area sharp and tender feelings.  I am whole heartedly thinking about RNY ASAP.  I chose the Band in the first place for mearly Vain reasons. I did not want the larger scar.  Now i know my decision was incorrect for me.  I am not a big exersicer when i am larger( struggling with some depression too) that is a big factor in the Band. YOU MUST Exercise.    Your mental state is the utmost importantance. when i am feeling great i feel great rearing to go! but when i am not feeling good i want nothing to do with activity of any kind.  My wish for you would be to think really long and hard about your emotional ties to your weight and activites while heavier.  I had all the good intentions of trying really hard the my mind got in the way.  Be honest with yourself and look deep.  
Lori 
(deactivated member)
on 6/20/10 5:36 am - AZ
I had a band placed 12/06, kept it for 18 months. I can honestly say that was the most miserable experience of my life. It was 18 very long, hard, months. When you have a band gone bad it is not only miserable it is amazingly expensive.

You are self pay, you have seen many people posting on many boards. If you get a band, kewl beans, but you are going into this with eyes wide open.
MsBatt
on 6/20/10 6:47 am
Your ticker says you have 145 pounds to lose. Unless you're really tall, that means your BMI is probably right around the 50 mark, I'm guessing.

The LapBand has been shown to give the very WORST results, especially for those with a BMI greater than 45. The DS is on the other end of the spectrum, with the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, especially for those with a starting BMI of 50 or greater.

For me personally, the only two forms of WLS I'd ever have are the Sleeve and the DS. (The Sleeve is the stomach portion of the DS, without the malabsorption.) I went with the DS because I knew I needed all the help I could get, AND because I wanted the 'easiest' path to success.

I have had not one mement's regret in the past six+ years of living with my DS. Be sure to give it serious consideration, too.
robinlloyd2008yahoo.
ca

on 6/20/10 7:14 am - sarnia, ON
hi there i had lapband in 2007 and it has been hell  i would not recomend it to anyone i was still hungry all the time  i love fruits and vegeatables and chicken and could not keep thenm down all most every thing i could not keep down you only have so many fills and after your at your max even if  you have weight to lose you can,t fill it anymore  i did not think it would be a problem of the port in the stomach but i hated it i as in pain all the time at the port site somedays would eat 1 bite of somthing and be pukeing and the next day try the same thing and be fine
in the mornings it was the worst and puke up everything i have not had any fill in for a year now  as was sick of puking and even with no fill i am still pukeing  it has been the worst thing ever i am in canada and had to pay for it and it was 15 thousand i hhave talked to lots of others who feel the same about the band the worst is when somthing gets stuck at the band area it caused me severe pain it was the worst thing i ever did right now the band is coming out in sept and i will be doing rny or vsg good luck robin
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/10 11:32 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
PLEASE do not even consider getting a band.

I am on my 2nd band and looking into another revision. My daughter is on her 2nd band and is looking into another revision. LOTS OF PROBLEMS.
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/10 12:17 pm - AZ
OP...

What surgery type did you decide on? I have a study for you if you are still questioning. ;o)0000

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/20919
Britt U.
on 6/30/10 10:53 am - Mill Creek, WA
I had a lap band in 2006 and lost over 70 pounds (from 236 to 162). Although I was happy with the results I frequently got food stuck and spend several hours sliming or in pain. I lived with it because it was helping me maintain my weight. In fact there are probably lots of posts you can find from me here saying how much I loved the band.

At the support group I attended almost everyone seemed to have sliming and stuck food issues so it seemed normal. Then my band slipped and I had esophogeal dilation and was miserable. Eventually I got the band out and during my fight for revision with the insurance company regained almost all of my weight. I had a lot of time to research and decided to go with the sleeve. I even attended a support group and asked everyone to share their sleeve issues - they all looked at my like crazye. Except for one person who had heartburn they all said it was great, the ate small portions and were satisfied and didn't notice anything different about how their stomach felt aside from smaller.

Three weeks ago I went ahead with a sleeve self-pay. So far so good. I've never been hungry (it doesn't happen for everyone so I feel lucky). I've been able to stick to my diet. In fact, I'm on mushy foods now and it's much easier than I imagined. 2 tablespoons of something and I'm very full and satisfied. I'm looking forward to finding out how it really feels in a week when I can move on to regular food.

My only regret is that I didn't self-pay for a revision a year ago. I just didn't think the insurance battle could go on so long. If I'd done it, I'd have been starting out at 185 instead of 230. That would have been well worth the out of pocket costs. It's not so exciting to hav emonths ahead re-losing weight.

Oh, and I'm down 18 pounds in 3 weeks.

Britt
Most Active