Cross Post-Revision from RNY to DS

sfjj4458
on 12/28/09 12:04 am - Paducah, KY
I am posting this on the Main, DS and Revision boards hoping to get some good information. I had RNY 8/2002 and lost 133 pounds. I maintained that loss for 5 years effortlessly-even through a very tough pregnancy. After the baby I got right back to my size 8's within a few weeks. Since 2007 I have fluctuated with 10-15 pounds and was always able to control that...until now. Due to a shoulder/neck injury I was off & on steriods for the past 6 months & now have gained 39 pounds from my lowest. I also have severe reactive hypoglycemic episodes-one that happened while Christmas shopping with my husband and I ended up in an ambulance & then the ER only to find that I had just had a full blown grand mal seizure. I have dumping frequently and I stay constipated. My iron hemoglobin is 12.8 right now thanks to my recent Hysterectomy but the rest of my levels are very low. Ferritin is 32. Folate is low...not sure of the # and my B-12 is 212.

My main question is are these valid reasons for a revision and does anyone anywhere have any info on whether BCBS/IL PPO will cover a revision from RNY to DS? I have an appointment with Dr. Hugh Houston in January. Any info would be appreciated.
Kerry J.
on 12/28/09 2:17 am - Santa Clara, UT
I would think that your medical reasons would qualify for a revsion to DS; but I have no clue about the insurance. I had reactive hypoglycemia before I got the revision to DS, but it was never as bad as you're describing. My revision was Sept. 17, 2008 and I haven't had a single reaction since then.

Also there are only a few surgeons with the skill and experience to do RNY to DS revisions safely; lt looks like you're closest to Dr. Husted so I think you should talk to him first.

Kerry
MaryJoPowell
on 1/1/10 4:43 am - Sherwood, OR
Hi Kerry

I'm interested in a RNY- to- DS revision and am looking for information on qualified, expereinced surgeons that respected for their skill in such a procedure.  I think I have googled every possible search phrase and just can't seem to find the info.  I'm glad to see your post here and am hoping that you can point me toward a source of info that will help me in my search.

Thanks so much!!!
-Mary
Most Active