Recovery time before going back to work

emjayel56
on 12/23/09 9:51 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL

I converted from lapband to RNY 4 months ago.  I stayed home about 2 weeks and then worked a week part-time.  Other than being tired you should be fine.  I was also done laparascopically.  By the way I am thrilled with the revision; I wish I would have done the RNY from day 1.  Good luck to you!

Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

FindingAndrea
on 12/23/09 10:07 pm - Waterbury Center, VT
 Thanks for the tips. How are you finding the process so far, making the adjustments, new eating schedule etc?

Ticker

Create Your Own Ticker

emjayel56
on 12/23/09 10:27 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL

Andrea,

I absolutely love the revision; I am meticulous in following the eating plan and exercise plan that my surgeon prescribed.  Next week is 4 months postop and I have lost 50 lbs as of today.  Thatis more than I lost 8 years with lapband.  I have lost 132 lbs from my top weight and 26 lbs from goal.  Without the RNY this would not be possible.  My advice to you is to follow your surgeon's plan.  The first few weeks are challenging getting the protein and fluid in but each day gets easier and easier and it becomes a way of life.  If you have any questions at all feel free to pm me.  Have a wonderful holiday season.

Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

FindingAndrea
on 12/23/09 10:49 pm - Waterbury Center, VT
 Hi Emjaye, thanks so much for sharing your experience with me. That is my plan. I want to do the same thing regarding following all the directions I need to. You have done FANTASTIC on your weight loss journey. Good for you. My surgery will be in the first week of March. I'll know the date next week. I am already working on behavior changes. One of the hardest for me is going to be not drinking 30 minutes before, after or with meals. So, I am starting to practice that now.

Happy Holidays. I'll not have internet access until Saturday.

Andrea

Ticker

Create Your Own Ticker

Valerieb09
on 12/24/09 6:34 am, edited 12/24/09 6:34 am - Seacoast, NH
Hi Andrea,

I was off from work for my revision last year for exactly three weeks.  I was pretty whipped after the first day back at work...lol. But I was in the hospital for five days as I had tons of adhesions and an unbilical hernia repaired too.  My job at that time was desk part of the time and walking up and down stairs.  The stairs is what whipped my butt the first day!
I am now 55 years old, I was 53 nearly 54 when I had my revision.  I would say stay out of work four weeks if you can.  The most important thing when you are home is to keep hydrated...getting all the protein in can happen later on.
Yes, you will want to practice the no drinking with meals thing real well.  It is not pretty when you don't follow this rule.  It will become second nature after some time.

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

Paul L.
on 12/24/09 10:45 pm
Don't rush back, even if you feel pretty good. I had my revision done on Nov. 30th, and I'm still out. I guess it depends on what you do for work, but I'm finding that the transition from liquids to soft and then solid food can mean that there had better be a bathroom nearby. Fatigue is also an issue. I'm going back on Jan. 11th, hopefully it's all ironed out by then.

Best wishes on your surgery.
High - 277
Surgery - 239
Now - 217
Goal - 145

FindingAndrea
on 12/25/09 9:11 am - Waterbury Center, VT
 Thanks for the advice. I hear you the better be a bathroom around. I plan on  having a change of clothes with me at all times, in the car, at the office. I am a professor who except with teaching does a lot of computer work, reading and grading papers etc. Good luck going back to work. What do you do?

Ticker

Create Your Own Ticker

Paul L.
on 12/25/09 10:07 am
I'm a technical supervisor with people at different buildings throughout eastern Mass, so quite a bit of time on the road is involved. Whatever it takes, it will all be worth it if the weight keeps coming off. I wish I'd never gotten the lapband, I didn't really understand that it could be defeated with a few sips of water. After a lot of research, the RNY looks to be a much better solution.
High - 277
Surgery - 239
Now - 217
Goal - 145

FindingAndrea
on 12/25/09 10:14 am - Waterbury Center, VT
 Yes, I wish I never got the lap band either. It did however give me the opportunity to learn some very important lessons about my food habits and emotional eating. They still got in my way with the lap band. I've done a lot of work on that in the past few years. I feel more then reading to take on the RNY now. I used to travel a lot in VT when I worked for the State. I knew where every dang bathroom in the state was. I grew up in Newburyport MA, born in Lowell.

Andrea

Ticker

Create Your Own Ticker

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/09 3:03 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I'm a reference librarian/supervisor, and the doctor put me out for 6 weeks just in case. My return date is Feb. 1.

Adele
Most Active