erny revisions

JROLFSON
on 1/8/10 3:52 am, edited 1/8/10 3:54 am - St. George, UT
MWG

You are dispicable! Have you no common decency?

Really....You need to get a life!

JRolfson
StacysMom
on 12/21/09 4:39 am
On December 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM Pacific Time, prosperiti wrote:
what exactly is the ERNY and what is the success rate for this procedure as a revision from RNY?? 
 The success rate for the ERNY depends on several factors.   One of which is how much the patient was originally bypassed with their RNY.   Some surgeons do a very proximal RNY and don't bypass much.  When these patients get the ERNY (the "E" stands for Extended), their weight loss is much more dramatic than a patient who got a substantial amount of intestine bypassed the first time around.    Sometimes as much as 80 lbs+.

Another factor is the length the new common channel is made with the most weight loss occurring in the patients with the shortest common channel.     There is a negative aspect to having the common channel made shorter.    With less area in which to absorb vitamins, minerals, nutrients (and calories), the person is subject to serious deficiencies and metabolic issues.     I've read where people who have common channels of 50-75 cm are having a tough time with the after effects of the surgery (bowel issues, smells, keeping labs up, etc.) and those who have longer common channels (100-200 cm) complain that they're not losing the weight they expected to.  It's a trade-off of heavy side effects vs. more weight loss.    In other words, to lose the most weight, the common channel needs to be made dangerously short.

Yet another issue is how fast an individual's body adapts to the surgery.   After any type of bypass, the body tries to "correct" for the malabsorption by having the villi in the intestines "learn" how to absorb more efficiently.   Once this happens, more calories (and nutrients) will be absorbed from food.   This is just one of the factors which results in the original RNY not working as well as it did at first.   This also affects the working of the ERNY.   

For the average ERNY bypass patient, however, based on what I've been reading on here for over two years, the weight loss averages out at around 50 lbs. of excess weight.     The side effects are variable depending on the length the common channel was left.

To achieve 100+ weight loss, IMO, the general consensus is that the DS surgery is the way to go.  Only a handful of surgeons have the skill to do such a surgical conversion and, because the RNY pouch must be reconstructed into a functioning stomach again, there is higher risk involved than merely dealing with the intestinal work of the ERNY.    But, it is a more effective and easier to live with surgery in the long run.  

And, in order to get a straight answer as to which is the best choice for you, your consult MUST be with one of the handful of surgeons who actually do the RNY to DS revision.    Not just a surgeon who does the virgin DS.   Surgeons who do not do these revisions routinely, will all tell you that it's either impossible or too dangerous to attempt.    

The people on the DS board can direct you to surgeons who specialize in RNY to DS revisions. 

Dancin-D
on 12/21/09 2:17 pm - Bellville, TX
Two weeks out of revision ERNY I'm 18# down.
Dancin'D
rny/lap 7/7/04 -200lbs
4/13/07 thighlift
7/25/07 tt/arms/knees
12/1/09 revision rny
Dancin' D
7/7/04 rny/lap -210
4/13/07 butt,thighlift w/ lipo, Dr. J Lo
7/25/07 tt/arms/knees w/ lipo Dr. J Lo
Kerry J.
on 12/22/09 6:15 am - Santa Clara, UT
You should talk to JROFLSON; she usually posts here; she got a ERNY revision last summer. I'm not sure what all her troubles are, but as I recall, she is less than thrilled with the results. Again though, you should talk to her, I may not be understanding the situation completely.

Also Michelle / Vitalady has a Distal RNY which is quite similar to ERNY and she has done very well, but she is super vigilant about her labs and supplements. If I were you I would talk to these two ladies and see what they have to say.

IMO, ERNY is not nearly as good a choice as the DS. With ERNY, you retain the pouch, with the DS you get a fully functional but smaller stomach back, complete with pyloric valve, you also get your duodenum back. This arrangement gives you better absorption of B12 and Iron and eliminates the dumping and food sticking problems associated with a pouch.

I lived with the damn pouch for 28 years; why anyone would want to have a pouch instead of a functional stomach makes me scratch my head in wonder.

Kerry
shele
on 12/22/09 7:33 pm

I have the erny, revised 3-23-09

My loss is slow to none, but I am getting tested for a fistula after the first of the year. 

I do personally know of one that has lost over 140.

BUT I would highly recomend that you throughly research the ds.  If you have any pouch issues at all, they will remain after the revision.  If you have trouble with solid protein, I would not recomend the erny.

Good luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Ms. Cal Culator
on 12/22/09 8:09 pm - Tuvalu

Any chance you can go back to Aceves and get him to REMOVE your cranium from your anal orifice?  He must have left it there accidentally.

Oh...and Keshishian DOES advertise here and post here...just as many other surgeons do.  But I guess that's hard for you to see around the hemorrhoids and all.

But thanks for asserting that he doesn't, as that just shows how reliable ALL of your information is...moron.

MidwesternGirl
AZ
Alberto Aceves M.D., F.A.C.S. Revision (12/06/06) Member Since: 10/04/07
[Latest Posts]

On December 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM Pacific Time, keshishiana wrote:  Here is the description:

http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/dec-5-09.pdf

The ERNY is a very potent operation when it comes to the weight loss and as a result it had the most dramatic and significant malnutrition, when it comes to al weight loss surgical procedures.

Investigate all your options.
Ara
Dr. K....

Have you considered taking out an ad? ;o)

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.  From a size 22/24 to a size 4.

Kerry J.
on 12/22/09 9:35 pm - Santa Clara, UT
LOL!!! MWG = Psycho....
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/09 1:55 am
On December 23, 2009 at 4:09 AM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:

Any chance you can go back to Aceves and get him to REMOVE your cranium from your anal orifice?  He must have left it there accidentally.

Oh...and Keshishian DOES advertise here and post here...just as many other surgeons do.  But I guess that's hard for you to see around the hemorrhoids and all.

But thanks for asserting that he doesn't, as that just shows how reliable ALL of your information is...moron.

MidwesternGirl
AZ
Alberto Aceves M.D., F.A.C.S. Revision (12/06/06) Member Since: 10/04/07
[Latest Posts]

On December 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM Pacific Time, keshishiana wrote:  Here is the description:

http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/dec-5-09.pdf

The ERNY is a very potent operation when it comes to the weight loss and as a result it had the most dramatic and significant malnutrition, when it comes to al weight loss surgical procedures.

Investigate all your options.
Ara
Dr. K....

Have you considered taking out an ad? ;o)

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.  From a size 22/24 to a size 4.

MWG= Psyco+moron=The best of both worlds.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 12/22/09 8:11 pm - Tuvalu

Sorry, Dana...the above is for that moron MWG.
Most Active