erny revisions

Gwen M.
on 12/22/09 10:10 pm - Valrico, FL
HI there!

In a few weeks, you'll have one of the top surgeons back in your area.  Dr. Gagner was in Miami and is now back in New York.  Not only is he a great surgeon, but he teaches other doctors all over the WORLD on the DS procedure.

I know you said you had 100 lbs to lose.  That's how much I had to lose when I had my original DS with him in October 2008.  Do you still (or if any) have any co-morbidities?  I was diabetic, HBP, apnea, joint and GERD.  I didn't have to take my diabetes meds from the day I had my surgery and am no longer a diabetic, not even near borderline.  I'm comfortable at a 4.5 A1C.

I don't take any medications except for a protonix for the GERD, but any WLS usually has you on a PPI type drug, so I don't mind taking it.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas!
gwen

PS>Dr. Gagner is still setting up shop, so it might be a bit hard to get hold of him.  He does answer his e-mails however.  You can get his e-mail address from this website:

dsfacts.com   Dr.  Michel Gagner

dana712
on 12/22/09 10:29 pm
Hi Gwen

Do you know where he is going to be in New York .What hospital? I am looking into a revision. I had RNY in 2001 post op weight was 328lbs I got down to 217lbs, got pregant 16 months after surgery.Now i am at 240lbs and cant seem to lose it. also after the birth of my daughter, I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid on medicztion for it.
 Thanks,
Dana
Happy Holidays.
Bonamy
on 12/23/09 3:56 pm - Wyoming County, NY
Do you know what your TSH level tests at?

If you are having problems losing and are tired make sure that they are treating your thyroid to the right level and not just enough to bring it to acceptable. 

Most people feel best when TSH is in the 1 to 2 range, my endocrinologist treats it down to 0.5 and actually did an ultrasound of my thyroid and diagnosed Hashimoto Thyroid as the cause and documented all my tumors so I would know if they grow or shrink.

My primary wanted me to stay at 4.5 because overtreatment was dangerous but being in the hands of an expert was a world of difference. You will feel best if treated correctly, not "just enough" to put you in normal ranges and if your not treated properly it definitely slows weight loss. 

If revision is what you do need I wish you well, I just wanted to toss the thyroid treatment out there in case you were being treated by  a primary that was going by old school rules.  Endocrinologists can take months to get into but if you are being treated and still feel crummy they are amazing.  I no longer have frozen feet, I sleep better and actually feel warm.

HW 365/SW321                                                        Walk or Run 200 miles in 2010 

Ara Keshishian
on 12/20/09 8:32 am - Glendale, CA
 Here is the description:

http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/dec-5-09.pdf

The ERNY is a very potent operation when it comes to the weight loss and as a result it had the most dramatic and significant malnutrition, when it comes to al weight loss surgical procedures.

Investigate all your options.
Ara
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/09 10:09 am - AZ
On December 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM Pacific Time, keshishiana wrote:
 Here is the description:

http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/dec-5-09.pdf

The ERNY is a very potent operation when it comes to the weight loss and as a result it had the most dramatic and significant malnutrition, when it comes to al weight loss surgical procedures.

Investigate all your options.
Ara

Dr. K....

Have you considered taking out an ad? ;o)

dana712
on 12/20/09 10:13 am
I hear Dr.Gagner DR Greenbaum are very good revision surgeons.I haerd Dr. Gagner is to be in New York City soon.
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/09 10:26 am - AZ
On December 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM Pacific Time, dana712 wrote:
I hear Dr.Gagner DR Greenbaum are very good revision surgeons.I haerd Dr. Gagner is to be in New York City soon.

I am verrrry sure those names are on the DSer approved list of the best of the best.

One of the problems with ERNY is that you get the worst of DS and the worst of RNY.  It does not appear to be balanced side effects and complications.

Again, the surgical risk for RNY to DS is more than ERNY.  But long term... that's what counts.  Life is easier with DS vs. ERNY.  Quality of life is what matters, that's why we get WLS to begin with, right?

Valerie G.
on 12/21/09 12:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Dr. Gagner has been incognito for a while now.  We're all waiting to see where he's going to land next around NYC.  Do give Greenbaum a call, though.  Get a true conversation going about the differences with a doc who can do either, and one who truly understands how the varying lengths of common channel can affect your quality of life.  It kind of scares me how any surgeons are now all of a sudden doing the ERNY in the past year, and the short lengths of the cc scare the beejesus out of me.  I have a friend who got the ERNY because the local DS surgeons won't do revisions from RNY to DS.  Her loss has been significantly slower than DS patients, but she's had a pretty easy time of things just the same.  Just consider that you'll have all of the challenges that you currently have with your pouch combined with a new set of challeges with the extremely increased bypass.  If you dump or have problems with certain foods, this will not change, however you will have a need to get in even more protein and fat now, and if you dump on fat, then you're just up the creek.  It can really be the worst of both worlds.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Debbie M.
on 12/21/09 9:30 pm, edited 12/21/09 9:41 pm
Dear Midwestern Girl:

hmmm....interesting, I don't see Dr. Aceves taking his  time to offer adivice or guidance to people who have quesitons.  Direct me to a posting that Dr. K says, Call me, I'm trolling for buisness.
He's an amazing surgeon who is passionate about his work and your comments are out of line.  Personally speaking, he's been incredibily patient with me and has never once recommended himself over anyone else.  He's responsive and tells people to explore all options.  Unless you've had personal experience /first hand knowledge you should keep your comments to yourself, they're not helpful or constructive.  You should take a look in the mirror when it comes to ethics.   How eithical is it to condemn a world class surgeons ethics on a public forum when you've never even met with him?
(deactivated member)
on 12/21/09 11:51 pm - AZ
On December 22, 2009 at 5:30 AM Pacific Time, Debbie M. wrote:
Dear Midwestern Girl:

hmmm....interesting, I don't see Dr. Aceves taking his  time to offer adivice or guidance to people who have quesitons.  Direct me to a posting that Dr. K says, Call me, I'm trolling for buisness.
He's an amazing surgeon who is passionate about his work and your comments are out of line.  Personally speaking, he's been incredibily patient with me and has never once recommended himself over anyone else.  He's responsive and tells people to explore all options.  Unless you've had personal experience /first hand knowledge you should keep your comments to yourself, they're not helpful or constructive.  You should take a look in the mirror when it comes to ethics.   How eithical is it to condemn a world class surgeons ethics on a public forum when you've never even met with him?

I don't like any doc that trolls for business.  My doc doesn't even allow his staff to post on his own message board or anywhere else so it doesn't look like he or his staff are trolling WLS boards for business.

I used to be a board admin for a sleeve board and I almost banned one doctor for doing it.  He told me he didn't think it was a big deal, answer a few questions in trade for getting his name out there and picking up a bit of business. (Pleatman).

I don't need to know anyone personally to see behaviors on a message board.

Funny that your wording is the same here as Dr. K's was to me in a few PMs.  Interesting.  I can only guess he asked for a bit of help?

Most Active