Considering ERNY revision? May want to look at inside link

ladynitewolf
on 12/15/09 4:46 am - BFE, CA

Full disclosure - the surgeon who produced the newsletter that I am linking it is my surgeon. He is also one of the top revision surgeons for revising RNY and lapband to the DS.

Anyway, onto the link!

http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/dec-5-09.pdf

This newsletter discusses the differences between the ERNY and DS anatomy, showing us where things are being positioned and their relationship to how we absorb nutritients. It highlights how because with an ERNY you still lose the all-important gastric juices, with the much shorter common channel there may be major nutrient deficiencies that would have been simpler to fix. It also discusses that if there had been pouch issues, having an ERNY will not solve those issues in the least.

The diagrams are hand-drawn by the doctor - and for those who haven't experienced him doing them live, I strongly suggest a trip to Delano would be in order. It's a hoot!

Anyway, more fuel for the fire and more information on your road to seeking a sucessful revision!

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

smileyjamie72
on 12/16/09 6:27 am - Palmer, AK

Yes, this is a good read, and even though the diagrams are "not to scale"
does not matter to me!!!  Just having visual pictures to be able to look at, from a surgeon matters to me!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

MollyBH
on 12/17/09 4:27 am - Appomattox, VA
Do you think a DS is the best revision for an RNY?  I had an RNY seven years ago and want to have a revision after I have gained back 50 lbs of the 100 I lost.  I don't know what to have.
Thanks for any suggestions.  I live in VA.
ladynitewolf
on 12/17/09 11:18 am - BFE, CA
Please keep in mind, I am not a surgeon or doctor of any sort! But yes, if you need a revision, logic to me says that the DS is the best way to go. Your only problem is that with gaining back only 50 pounds, you may not be eligible for a revision. Did you reach goal at all? Or did you not lose all the weight in the first place?

You need to go to a surgeon that not only knows about all the surgeries, but who is also a revision surgeon. I would suggest Dr. Greenbaum in NJ as the closest one to you. If you feel like coming to this side of the country, my doctor as well as Dr Rabkin are also fabulous revision surgeons who have done many hard cases.

Good luck with your choice!

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

MollyBH
on 12/18/09 9:30 am - Appomattox, VA
Thanks for your response.  I never reached my goal.  The lowest I got was 200lbs. so I never lost all the weight to begin with.  I think I will try the Virginia state forum and see if anyone knows of any surgeons in VA.  If not, I would travel to NJ or where ever I needed to.
Kerry J.
on 12/17/09 11:29 am, edited 12/18/09 9:35 am - Santa Clara, UT
I got a revision from RNY to DS and it's wonderful; I'm in heaven, I eat like a naturally thin person and have lost the excess weight. I feel like I'm 30 again and I'm 57. Check out the DS Forum there are a bunch of RNY to DS revisions who post there.

Here's a link to my 1 year out post:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/

You can also check out my profile if you want to see more about what I've been through and what I've been doing.

Kerry
MollyBH
on 12/18/09 9:33 am - Appomattox, VA
Thanks for your post Kerry.  I am also in my late 50's and would love to feel like I was 30 again.  Congrats on your successes and enjoy.
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/09 12:25 am - Bayonne, NJ
That's why I'm having the revision to the DS.  It makes more sense to me, especially since I'm most comfortable eating a low-carb, high-protein diet.
Most Active