20 days post-op from a RNY revision and I need some advice

sassy2ndtime
on 12/9/09 12:56 am

Hi group,

I had a RNY on 7/5/01 with a start weight of 430 and lost 175 pounds.
I exercised 4-5 times a week, ate really clean, and felt satisfied to be in the 200's but never reached my goal of 220.

Due to a foot injury, I put back 40+ pounds on, couldn't exercise,  and didn't want to see my weight creep up.

So, I had a RNY revision on 11/19/09 with a start weight of 310.6 which went very smoothly and I have lost 21 pounds so far in 19 days. The scale hasn't moved since Monday and I am feeling a little blue.

My first RNY I lost 35 pounds the first month, 100 in 6 months, and was down the 175 within 18 months.

I am trying to gauge how much I will lose with this revision because I really want to finally make it to my goal of 220 or less, however my doctor told me that with a revision I can hope to lose approximately 100 pounds since the body adapts to the original RNY. 

I feel really depressed and weak today and can't imagine that I would plateau at 19 days. I'm following doctors orders on purees and eating everything that is protein rich. I just bought a kettlebell to start working out with. I just can't remember how the original RNY went.
Weird how your memory eludes you sometimes.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

JROLFSON
on 12/9/09 1:10 am - St. George, UT
Michelle:

First of all it would be good to know what type of revision you received? Did they revise your pouch or give you malabsorption...

The first thing that a surgeon should have told you prior to stepping into a revision is that you probably would lose much slower as our bodies and metabolisms change after an RNY...

That being said...You have lost 1 lb per day almost since surgery that is huge you will experience stalls even with a first surgery the body has to take time to adjust and get used to whats going on...Give it time and keep following the doctors orders...I'm sure within a week you will start losing again that's just how our bodies work...I know this because I've been through two revisions three weight loss surgeries overall...And I'm an expert at stalls and paranoia when I get one...

You are doing great...Keep up the good work and let us know how you progress...

Janie
sassy2ndtime
on 12/9/09 3:41 am
Thanks for the feedback, that sets my mind at ease.

I had my pouch revised so it is basically the same.

I am feeling dizzy at work but I am sure it will pass.

Thanks again.
tochatty
on 12/10/09 7:46 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I can understand where you are coming from.  hang in there I am sure if you do the right things the weight will come off.

I know if granted my wish of having revision surgery I am going to be compliant more than ever this time.... You know I thought I knew it all then and I was 27, I had a great surgeon but not the best after call, we have come a long way in 10 years and there have been a lot of hard lessons learned as well.

but moving forward I am trying to put good practices in place prior to surgery and to remember this is for life, this is to be healthy, so I will be successful and I am sure you will do good too.

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

Dancin-D
on 12/10/09 1:53 pm - Bellville, TX
Hi,
First of all....Congrats!!!  I had to throw away  my scale when I had my original RNY 7/7/04!  That dang thang just kept me in a tizzy!!!!!  I still don't have a scale.  I know I would be obsessive/compulsive about weighing too much and my emotions would follow the scale.  So once a week I weigh at the PCP's office.  Much better for me.  Hang in there, the plateau WILL move.....
Dancin'D
rny/lap 7/7/04
thighlift 4/07
tt/arms/knees 7/07
 rny revision 12/1/09
Dancin' D
7/7/04 rny/lap -210
4/13/07 butt,thighlift w/ lipo, Dr. J Lo
7/25/07 tt/arms/knees w/ lipo Dr. J Lo
Most Active