Considering Revision surgery...From RNY to???

Kerry J.
on 12/21/09 4:47 am - Santa Clara, UT
If you're thinking of a revision from RNY to DS, I would only recommend Dr. Greenbaum in NJ. There are just so few surgeons who can safely do that revision that you could count them on one hand. Dr. Greenbaum is one of them; you would be very wise to get a consult with him as he also does RNY and I think you would get a straight answer from him.

Kerry
reenieb
on 12/21/09 4:50 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Thanks again, Kerry. I don't think I would qualify for a revision to DS; I'm still hovering in the 160s having gained 22 lbs. this past year. However, my PCP tells me that my diabetes has returned and my blood pressure seems to be on the upswing again. What is your thinking on this? Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Kerry J.
on 12/21/09 5:25 am - Santa Clara, UT
If I were you I would talk to Dr. Greenbaum. The DS is done in Europe just to cure Type II Diabetes. Your common channel & sleeve can be tailored for you; so you don't loose too much weight. However, if you're looking to get insurance coverage, you may be right about not qualifying; but I'm really not one to talk about insurance with; I self paid to get the DS.

Kerry
reenieb
on 12/21/09 5:28 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Oh, I would have to get insurance to cover, no self-pay options here... you've given me lots to think about, Kerry. Thank you. Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
shele
on 12/8/09 8:51 pm
If you want the best, go for the DS!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/09 10:58 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I decided to revise to the DS, and hopefully will be having it soon. I want something that will be permanent, with good results.  The more I read, the more I realized that the DS would be best for me.
prosperiti
on 12/13/09 5:21 am - Taylor , MI
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/09 9:50 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hi,

I don't think there's any way that anyone could do this laparascopically. I had a full rny with a band at the top of the stoma, and I had abdominoplasty 2 years ago. I am having the DS as an open procedure.
prosperiti
on 12/13/09 10:45 am - Taylor , MI
Thank you so much...I have a consultation 1/22/10, for my revision. I know that some revisions have been done laprascopically. I'm not sure which ones though. I also had my RNY as an open procedure. I don't even know if that's(lapra) an option for me. Did it take long afterr your consultation to have a surgery date scheduled? I am so ready, a little nervous but ready. God bless you...that everything goes well for you and me.
Kerry J.
on 12/21/09 4:57 am - Santa Clara, UT
I really doubt you will find a surgeon who would even try to revise RNY to DS, LAP. You're talking about a very difficult and tedious operation; there are only a few surgeon who you should even consider to do this revision. I had my RNY to DS revision done by Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco; Dr. Rabkin is arguably the best of them all (I may be a little biased). And it took him two surgeries to get it all done right; the first one took 8 1/2 hours and then three days later it took another 4 1/2 hours. No way it could have been done LAP.

I'm not trying to scare you about it because I would do it again in a heartbeat to get what I have today. But you do need to realize that this is a big deal and not something just any surgeon or even an experienced DS surgeon can do safely.

Feel free to PM me if you want to or post specific questions. It's a wonderful result to get the DS after so many years of suffering with the damn pouch, but you really need to be very careful about who you get to do the surgery.

Kerry
Most Active