Considering Revision surgery...From RNY to???

prosperiti
on 12/8/09 2:05 pm - Taylor , MI
Hello everyone, I also posted on the main board and someone suggested I post on the revision board so here I go...Is there anyone who can give me some information on having a revision done? I am strongly considering it and I am a little nervous about it. I had the RNY done back in 12/1995, I lost a total of 198 pounds, bringing me to 220 pounds. Over the 14 yrs I have since gained back 75 pounds. I do not want to get any bigger but I seem to be out of control, not to mention I never got the chance to reach my goal weight of 170 pounds, close but not there, and now I am gaining again...can someone pls help. Would you recommend the revision? and what can I expect after having the RNY revising to what? any  suggestions on what I should revise to?(I know in the end it is my decision but suggestions are more than welcome) Any information would be helpful...Thank you...

strawberry28
on 12/8/09 7:50 pm - somewhere, MD
Hi,

A lot of folks get a RNY to Duodenal Switch (DS) revision.  All I have seen were very happy with that revision.  Others will be along to give more info.  ALso, feel free to check out the DS forum to learn more about the proceedure.  It is the most forgiving in terms of helping you keep the weight off long term.  Only thing is for a revision of this sort...you must find a surgeon who does them often, as it can be a tricky operation.  But many have gone before you and do great.

I just had a Lapband removed to a DS.  So far it is good.  For me...having a revision, the most important thing to consider was what option would give me the LONG TERM results I wasted.

Best wishes...hope to see you on the DS board soon asking more.

SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

Kerry J.
on 12/8/09 8:40 pm - Santa Clara, UT
I had RNY for 28 years before revision to DS; I originally lost most of my excess weight with the RNY, but after a year or so, I was starting to regain. I had to diet and exercise like mad to keep the weight off; but managed to do pretty well for about 15 years. I got sick and couldn't exercise and that was the end of my control, I started yo yo gaining and ended up right back where I started. I really hated the dumping and food sticking and I always felt deprived because I couldn't ever have anything sweet or even a glass of milk because I would dump. Anything stringy like steak, roast beef or celery would stick and I would end up puking it up, even rice would do this to me. I know that everyone who has RNY doesn't have these pouch problems, but I sure did and I really grew to despise what had been done to me.

I didn't know about the DS until someone invited me to check out the DS Forum, but when I started checking it out, the more I learned the more I liked. I decided I wanted the DS and that it was what would work for me long term. I love to eat, I really enjoy eating and the social atmosphere that goes with eating and the DS allows me to eat like a naturally thin person does and it's awesome. I have no bowel issues, you hear the myths about, in fact it's hard to find anything about the DS that I don't like. I do take a bunch of vitamins and get blood drawn and labs done every 6 months to make sure I'm not getting deficient in anything, but you should be doing that with RNY as well.

Feel free to check out my profile; you can see what I'm doing and what the differences is before and after and more about my RNY experiences. You can also read my 1 year out post here:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4024505/One-year-ago-today-who -could-have-known/action,replies/topic_id,4024505/page,1/

I'm loving life like never before, I feel great; like I'm 30 again. My only regret is that I didn't do the revision 10 years ago.

Kerry

prosperiti
on 12/13/09 5:15 am - Taylor , MI
Hey Kerry thanks for all of the info and the DS sites to visit, very helpful...I just have a question?? When you got your revision did they do it laproscopically or open? and was it your decision to have it done that way or not? I am kind of nervous about the laproscopic procedure, I know I must make the final decision for myself but I just would like to hear your opinion on the matter..would you recommend an open or laproscopic revision??
Kerry J.
on 12/14/09 12:59 am - Santa Clara, UT
I'm glad the info was helpful, there's a lot to read and digest isn't there.

My revision was done open, but then so was my original gastric bypass. I don't think there was really any choice in my case, I had so much scar tissue, so many adhesion's and so much damage from the old surgery that I don't think I could have been revised and repaired properly through LAP.

Many of the revision surgeons will only do a revision open because they want to be able to look around at everything while they're in there (so I'm told). But I really have no experience with any LAP procedure. If it were me, I wouldn't be concerned about if the surgery was going to be open or LAP, but I would be concerned about the surgeons plan and how much experience he has revising RNY to DS. That kind of a revision takes a lot of skill, persistence and patients to get it done right and there are not a lot of surgeons who have those skills. So my advise is to make sure you get an experienced revision surgeon, one that you're comfortable with.

Kerry
prosperiti
on 12/14/09 2:18 am - Taylor , MI

Thanks...I have an appt for a consultation at Barix Clinic for the revision on 1/22/10. I found out that they do not offer the DS revision and only a band around the RNY or repair of the RNY. could you recommend a Revision Surgeon? I am in Michigan but I have no problem going out of town for the procedure. I would like to get the DS not a repair or the band. I have BC/BS so I can go anywhere. But if you know of a DR. in Michigan can you recommend one to me..or if you know of someone who can refer me to a qualified Dr. Thank you I would appreciate any help.. I went on the site to look over some of the Dr's but a little overwhelming.

Kerry J.
on 12/14/09 11:03 am, edited 12/14/09 11:04 am - Santa Clara, UT
Here's the list of vetted DS surgeons in MI and MN and I'm not sure which ones would be best for a revision. You probably should post that question over on the DS Forum, I'll bet there will be a few over there with experience with these surgeons, Here's the list:

Michigan

Mustafa A. Hares, MD, FACS
Michigan Bariatric
3100 Cross Creek Parkway, Suite 160 
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
Phone: 248-371-3199
Fax: 248-371-1930
Email: [email protected]

Paul Kemmeter, MD, FACS *

Grand Health Partners
2060 East Paris Avenue, S.E., Suite 100
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Phone: 616-956-6100 or 1-888-691-0050 toll free
Fax: 616-956-6637

Marek Lutrzykowski, MD

Oakland Bariatrics
10 W Square Lake Rd., Suite 200
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302
Phone: 248-322-1543
Fax: 248-322-1547

Bruce MacPherson, MD

10 W Square Lake Rd., Suite 200
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302
Phone: 248-858-7666
Fax: 248-858-7601

Minnesota

Henry Buchwald, MD, PhD
Sayeed Ikramuddin, MD *
University of Minnesota Medical Center
Weight Management Center
Phillips-Wangensteen Building
First Floor, Clinic 1E
516 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone: 612-626-6666

Also, here's a link to all the states so you can click on a state and see which DS surgeons are located there: 

www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html

reenieb
on 12/21/09 2:04 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Kerry, who is performing DS in the northeast/New England states? Thanks. Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Kerry J.
on 12/21/09 2:29 am - Santa Clara, UT
Here's a link to the vetted list on DS Facts:

http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.html

Are you looking for DS surgeons or DS surgeons who do revisions? It's not the same list; revisions to DS are tricky business and there are only a few world wide I would recommend for that. The only one I know of that's close to New England is Dr. Greenbaum in NJ.

Kerry

reenieb
on 12/21/09 4:27 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
I'm just trying to get a handle on every option available to me at this point . Thanks for this, my friend. Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Most Active