Update on Lizzie (Schlesinger's screw up fixed by Mayo)

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/09 12:16 am - AZ
I asked Lizzie if I could post an update and she sent me this to post:

To all who are wondering:   I had my surgery on Wed (today is Mon) and I got home Sat p.m. from Mayo. Yes, the surgeons did a great job...they really know all about Bariatric Surgery! They said that Schlesinger left my common channel a mere 50 cm...something I NEVER knew--because it's not mentioned in my op rpt.  Mayo doctors refer to this short of a CC as a "Very, Very Long Limb RNY" (Incidentally, created BY a Mayo doctor).  There was no need for someone like me (who weighed at the time, only 185 lbs) to have such a drastic procedure.  In all honesty, I did not know of the extreme shortness of this procedure that was done to me.  Mayo reversed it to 200 cm, which is now a more appropriate and realistic length, to their surgical techniques; this procedure being called a "Very Long Limb RNY".  My surgeon said that NOW my body can properly utilize its pancreatic digestive enzymes, which was not possible for the past year, due to the way that surgery left me.  (Prior to going to Mayo, I was faced with having a port put into my chest for 3x/wkly nutritional feedings and pancreatic enzymes.  Fortunately, I saw doctors who KNOW what they are dealing with!   My previous blood work (prior to the original ERNY) did not show ANY hemolytic anemia.  This is something that was acquired since that operation.  Mayo docs do not know if it will be able to be reversed.  I have had iron infusions and EPO, which have done nothing to raise my blood counts.    My husband is livid... I am left with these nutritional deficiencies that will take me months, or perhaps years, to recuperate from and still cannot work.  My husband wants compensation for the physical, mental, and now financial stress this has put on my/our live(s).  Will this help?  I don't know, because 50 cm is what Dr. S does (I now know from my conversations w/other Dr. S patients--esp those with complica- tions from this surgery).    I did not acquire this situation because I did not follow the diet protocol...rather, I was told by my surgeon (last year) that I was non-compliant.  I am NOT stupid. I was told by some on the OH site to just 'stick with it and see how it goes', but that is utterly ridiculous, when one's life is in the balance.  I think that OH is a good resource for those who are looking for and receiving good support.  But I am tired of reading all the hype about a surgeon who is just a man... his surgery did me no great service in the long-run.   I deactivated my profile, etc.  I will deal with my own health issues and get other support elsewhere.    Liz
AngelFrost
on 2/16/12 5:39 pm
I so need to know the name of her doctor at Mayo. I live near Mayo or LaCrosse WI and I need a revision. I keep losing weight. 5'2" and 96lbs. I am weak and want to die. I am breaking bones. I cannot eat sugar or milk products so I eat salad. My reg Doc wants to put a feeding tube in me and I dont think that is the right choice. My RNY was done in 8/1/06 and the doctors in LaCrosse WI do not want to see me. I have attempted suicide 3 times and the last time almost succeeded.
I go to a Psychologist and the other one. I forgeet things. I have shortened my life. They say my bones are like an 80 year old and I just turned 50 in December.

Please if I can get a name of a good Mayo doc SOON before I give up!!! I hurt so bad!! I am always nauseous. Something is not right!!

Anyone please help!!!

PLEASE!

Angel
 LilySlim - (erTm)    
Most Active