VSG to RNY

sabrina Y.
on 12/7/09 4:45 am - virginia beach, VA
Hi all!
I am in the process of getting my affairs in order to get a "conversion" done from VSG to RNY. I got my sleeve last November and over the past year, I have lost a total of 40 pounds (although the wt is starting to go up again).
I was wondering for those that have had this conversion: how hard is it? Meaning, are the first weeks following the RNY surgery similar to the first few weeks of VSG in terms of pain? I know that pain varies between people and sometimes a person can tolerate pain well once and then the next: WHOOSH, "GIVE ME DRUGS!!!!" I generally am not a wimp, but, I do not want my husband to have to worry about me being in pain. The only real pain I had after the VSG was when they took the drain out: OUCH.
Also, how long were some of you in the hospital? I am also trying to finish up the last of my courses for my degree and I need to tell my instructors something (I know, the doctor will tell me, but, he is not the one that has gone through this)

Thanks for any help!
Sabrina

I may be in Georgia, but Florida's on my mind!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/09 5:02 am
Hi Sabrina!

I am wondering why you are converting to RNY instead of DS?  You already have the first 1/2 of the DS and would not have to cut up your stomach again.

Also, consider that IF you do not lose the weight and keep it off with the RNY you would have a very difficult revision to go through.

Is it insurance or does your Dr. not perform the DS? or is there another reason?

Thanks,

Michele
monkmoses
on 12/7/09 5:19 am - Valyermo, CA
 Dont let the DS"ers give you a rough time!
SkInNyMiN
on 12/7/09 5:22 am - NE
You already have the first part of the DS why not fini**** The Ds offers great results and leaves your stomach fully functioning, something the RNY doesn't do. Check out the revisions board as well as the DS board and you will find many that have went from the RNY to the DS. Good luck on your journey :)
smileyjamie72
on 12/7/09 5:30 am - Palmer, AK
Sabrina,

Please research & make sure your surgeon does ALL 4 weight loss surgeries!!  (as I have seen it put into words: "Would you go to a Honda dealer if you wanted a Ford?")

Here is a website link for diagrams of all of the surgeries:
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

I am a 'visual learner' so this has helped me tremendously!!!

Good Luck on YOUR journey!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Anna G.
on 12/7/09 5:35 am
Wouldn't a VSG to RNY conversion be a much bigger surgery than just to finish the DS, since you're already halfway there? I know that how involved the surgery is would not be a good thing to base your decision of surgery type on, but if you're concerned about the wimp factor, it seems like it would be much easier to convert to DS.

Your surgeon may not be the best one to do it, but you should discuss it with him and if he doesn't do DS, you could consult with a good DS surgeon about finishing the job.

MsBatt
on 12/7/09 5:38 am
I'm  DSer, and I'm NOT here to give you a hard time. (*grin*) But I am going to ask why you want to go through the pain and extended healing of having your stomach cut AGAIN, when you could go to a different surgeon and just add the 'switch' to have a complete DS? Right now, you have a fully-functional stomach, complete with pylorus. If you are converted to the RNY, you're going to lose that, and risk dumping, strictures, marginal ulcers, and the possibly of a stretched stoma.

Just something to think about.
sabrina Y.
on 12/7/09 5:55 am - virginia beach, VA

It is an insurance issue as well as my surgeon. Originally I was going to have the RNY, but thought against it (maybe should have gone with my gut on that one ...no pun intended).
Both my sisters have had WLS and one has had to get a revision to RNY.
I also have a very LARGE ventral hernia that is hiding behind some mesh from a prior ventral hernia repair. (Ventral hernia: incisional hernia).  My surgeon will be doing a lot of work on me no matter what surgery is done to be quite honest.  I am very confident in him as I have gone to another surgeon that told me a horror story about what he was going to do with the hernia, and it sounded, well horrific!  My doctor is not going to “rip out" all the mesh as the other one had suggested and start all over.  I trust my surgeon. I am not sure if this makes a difference or not, but he is part of Bariatric Center of Excellence.

Thank you all for your input…but how about some RNY-ers getting into the mix I know that with the hernia repair I will have pain, but what if he doesn't have to do it, what are pain levels like?
Regards to all!
Sabrina

I may be in Georgia, but Florida's on my mind!!!

Kristi H.
on 12/7/09 7:15 am - Killeen, TX
Please tell me this is a joke!
Andrea U.
on 12/7/09 5:45 am - Wilson, NC
I'm an RNY'er trying to figure out why you'd want to convert to RNY when the DS conversion would be quite a bit simpler?

Most Active