What is recovery like lapband to RNY?

Rosestar
on 11/28/09 9:33 am
Hello, I am excited, super ready for this change my friends. Whats more scars on the belly? Haha!

Do they send in the paperwork to the insurance once the psych eval is done? Thats all I have to have done also Dr.Pop is going to look down my throat for a peek at my band.

With the band, I was up and walking asap, I did not experience gas pains but had my gas x strips at the ready. I actually gave some to the woman on the floor who was doing laps for hours trying to work some gas out.

I would like to fly from the midwest to L.A. at the end of Feb. Theoretically 4 weeks after surgery, give or take. May be less. Its for a writing workshop with one of my favorite authors (Francesca Lia Block). Involves alot of walking and dang its hilly in L.A. and I will want to get in the ocean even though it will be freezing.

I require lots of pain medication but I am one of those determined people.

Are you flat on your back after you get home? If so, for how long? I think I need to read more about this. I watched a youtube vid of the operation.

I plan on getting scar tissue massage, to break up the lap band scar tissue. That seems to be a big issue with revisions. I take vitamins daily anyways but I am going to research how I can optimize recovery and thriving post op!

I swear by the homeopathic arnica montana, I take it before and after all operations. Good stuff.

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/09 2:28 am - OXNARD, CA
I know that everyone is different but in my case...I'm 31 years old, weighed 317 at the time of surgery, and had the lapband placed for 6 years prior to my RNY surgery 3 weeks ago.

I was up and walking around about 3 hours after surgery. I honestly can't remember what it felt like when I had the lapband surgery years ago. But with this revision, the "pain" is hard to describe. It's not really pain, it's more of a really bad discomfort. The worst feeling was the gas I felt inside, especially towards my left side and back. I was up and walking around every couple of hours, for about 15 minutes at a time. Standing or sitting up felt better than laying down. I was released from the hospital 2 days later and only took my pain medicine one time when I got home, after that I didn't feel I needed it. I slept on my recliner for about 4 days because my bed is kind of low and trying to get in and out of it would put too much pressure on my incisions. Exactly a week after surgery my incisions were all closed up and I was finally comfortable enough to sleep in my bed and on my stomach. I was back to work exactly 2 weeks later, but honestly I probably could have been back to work a lot sooner because I felt great.

Like I said I am currently 3 weeks out as of tomorrow and feel great. Everything is pretty much back to normal, except that I don't carry my 18 month old son because he weighs about 21 pounds and the instructions were not to carry anything over 20 pounds until after 5 weeks out, and I don't want to risk injuring myself. The incisions don't hurt at all, but they're really itchy right now. When I stand for a long period of time or walk for longer than 20 minutes, I noticed that it starts to burn where my lapband "port" used to be. I've heard that's normal because there was a lot of scar tissue there and it takes time to heal.

Anyway, I hope you have a safe and speedy recovery. Good luck to you!
emjayel56
on 12/4/09 4:21 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

I concur with what the poster before me said.  I had my revision from band to bypass on 8/31 and returned to work in 2 weeks. Other than being tired no real complaints.  Of course if it is done with open inscission recovery would be longer but either way you should be fine in a month.  All the best to you.

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

Most Active