11 years out

bandmancwc
on 11/26/09 1:20 am - Englewood, OH
Hi everyone, It has been 11 years since my R-n-Y.  I started off great for the 1st 18 months and  lost about 80 lbs.  I then went through a tough time of depression at my job and home.  I hit a brick wall.  I have gained about 60 lbs back. One thing that struck me as odd, was when I would return to see the doctor, he would ask if I had a feeling of satisfaction (satiety sp?)  I have never have had a feeling of fullness until it was too late and it was coming back up.  My initial surgery was a self pay and I feel like I threw that money out the window.  I have been scoped and tested over the years and am told the pouch is still the correct size, and the stoma is OK.  I had a few procedures to try and scar the stoma smaller with saliene about 5 years ago, but it didn't seem to do any good.  My new surgeon is getting ready to start offering the ROSE procedure.  Again, it will have to be a self-pay.  Has anyone had any experiences with it?  I thought the initial procedure would take care of a lot of problems, but has not.  I am looking at the initial procedure as another weight loss failure in the long line of programs I have tried over the years.  Thanks...Bill
StacysMom
on 11/26/09 6:19 am
 I have been reading these boards for almost 3 years and have not heard one (not even one!) person say they were successful with the ROSE, Stomaphyx or Sclerotherapy procedures.   They are all really excited at first and lose between 15 and 20 lbs, mainly from the pre and post op diets, but as soon as they go back to regular foods, they gain all the weight back and all they are left with are the bills for the useless procedure.  If there are any folks out there who, at a year or more out, have maintained their weight loss with these procedures, they are not posting here.  But, many people HAVE posted who have had these procedures with no results.

If you do not want to convert your surgery to the ERNY (shortening your common channel for more malabsorption) or the DS (converting your surgery to something completely new), the "band over bypass" (BOB - lapband placed over the pouch) appears to be the most effective of the minimally invasive procedures (even though the weight loss is not as extensive or rapid as with the ERNY or DS).   It "refreshes" the restrictive aspect of the RNY surgery.
pepsi98
on 11/26/09 11:27 am - Norwich, CT
On November 26, 2009 at 2:19 PM Pacific Time, StacysMom wrote:
 I have been reading these boards for almost 3 years and have not heard one (not even one!) person say they were successful with the ROSE, Stomaphyx or Sclerotherapy procedures.   They are all really excited at first and lose between 15 and 20 lbs, mainly from the pre and post op diets, but as soon as they go back to regular foods, they gain all the weight back and all they are left with are the bills for the useless procedure.  If there are any folks out there who, at a year or more out, have maintained their weight loss with these procedures, they are not posting here.  But, many people HAVE posted who have had these procedures with no results.

If you do not want to convert your surgery to the ERNY (shortening your common channel for more malabsorption) or the DS (converting your surgery to something completely new), the "band over bypass" (BOB - lapband placed over the pouch) appears to be the most effective of the minimally invasive procedures (even though the weight loss is not as extensive or rapid as with the ERNY or DS).   It "refreshes" the restrictive aspect of the RNY surgery.
Make sure you do your research before jumping to any of the "endoscopic procedures"!!  I spent $10,500 out of pocket for Stomaphyx and it failed miserably!!  StacysMom is correct in the pounds lost range..I lost 17lbs from the post of liquid diet and gained it and lots more back.  I ended up having a band over bypass (BOB) in 12/08.  The weight loss is slow, but I'm mostly ok with that.

Good luck!!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/09 10:54 pm - AZ

If the OPs stoma is okay how would a band help?  Maybe a metabolic problem or carbs??

MsBatt
on 11/26/09 8:00 am
I strongly urge you to consult with an experienced revision surgeon. The Rose procedure doesn't have a good rep AT ALL, unfortunately.

Sounds to me like you have two options---an ERNY or a DS. With the ERNY, you're going to have the same pouch, just more malabsorption, and it's going to potentially give you some vitamin issues. With the DS, you'll hopefully be able to once again have a fully-functional stomach rather than a pouch, but that stomach WILL be small, and you WILL experience satiety. You'll also have more malabsorption than you have now, but your vitamin and supplement requirements will change. Having a stomach once again, you may no longer need to supplement B12 or iron, and your calcium needs may decrease. But you may have to start supplementing the fat-soluble vitamins (A,D,E, and K) since with the DS you'll only absorb about 20% of the fat you eat.

We have several revision patients on the DS board. Come over and check us out---maybe we can help you.
Ara Keshishian
on 11/26/09 11:54 am - Glendale, CA
Hello,
I appreciate the desire to have a quick fix for medical problems. But it has been my experience that most of the time, it is safer to wait till there are formal studies conducted, data analyzed and published. As of wight now, there is no scientific data that any of the non surgical methods work for failed weight loss surgical procedures. For surgeons that routinely perform revision, the positions are varied. I am of the opinion that any patient that has not had the desired effect from a restrictive procedure (the surgery fails-not the patient) they should only had the duodenal switch. This is because duodenal switch is the only operation that had the benefit and the safety of the malabsorption. I should also say, before some one sends me an email back, that distal gastric bypass, or the ERNY is not the same as the DS. The metabolic and physiology of the distal RNY, or ERNY is nothing like that of the DS. This is why patient's with the distal RNY (ERNY) have significantly higher incidence of nutritional deficiencies that the DS patients, for the same bowel percentages (lengths).
The most important issue is to do an objective research and decide on the best procedure.Needles to say that I am biased for the duodenal switch operation.

Hope this helps.
Ara 
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

MsBatt
on 11/26/09 12:04 pm
Oh, I agree completely---and I *think* you meant to be replying to the original poster, not me. I'm all DS, all the way. (*grin*)
Ara Keshishian
on 11/26/09 12:10 pm - Glendale, CA
 I stand corrected.
Thanks
Ara
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/09 11:49 pm - Phx, AZ
I SO SO SO agree w/you!!!  I am having my ERNY reversed this week by a different surgeon than who did my ERNY.  Got a really GREAT group of docs at Mayo...they know so much! 

Nutritional deficiencies is just two words that don't mean anything to anybody unless they are having complications from this procedure.  If I were getting the benefit of 20% of my fat soluble vitamins, I would not be dealing with an acquired Hemolytic Anemia, nor a vascular disorder, nor hyposplenism, nor severe malabsorption!  If anyone thinks that they can "deal" with this on their own, they are beating the odds--in my book.  I have never been this ill nor gone thru so many pairs of underwear in one day!  

Will post more "on the other side".   
JROLFSON
on 11/30/09 11:33 pm - St. George, UT
Hey Lizzie:

When they reverse you are they planning on revising just the ERNY (lengthening the common channel?)  Or are they going to revise you to another procedure?

Keep us informed for sure...I've been worried about you and I'm praying all goes well for you this week...

Janie
Most Active