Frustrated and need advice please

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/09 7:13 am
I had a LapBand placed January 2009, and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.  I lost all of my current weight lost in the first 4 months, but haven't lost another pound since.  I'm actually floating up and down with the same ten pounds.  I didn't exercise, in the beginning, because I was losing so quickly.  When the pounds stopped coming off, I began to exercise.  I work my ass off every single day.  Yes, I do have an addiction to carbs.  If I have one gram, it's almost like my body then "needs" 200 more.  I don't get it.  Anyway, I've been filled and unfilled.  I have days when I can hardly swallow my own spit, and then days when I can eat anything under the sun.  There is never a day that I can eat cold food, but I can't eat anything microwaved.  Am I failing my band or is my band failing me?  I'm not sure whether to feel pissed off or ashamed.  I've been kicking around the idea of revision, but I'm scared at the same time.  I hate my band, but wouldn't have the slightest clue which other wls I would do better with.  I don't know what the differences are between the sleeve and DS.  Since I can't seem to stop eating carbs, am I just screwed for other wls?  All I know about RNY is the bad stuff people say....same with the DS.  I don't want to "dump", nor do I want "smelly gas" (that's the bad stuff I've heard about DS).  Actually, I'm pretty clueless, but don't know where to start, so I figured I'd just put it out there and ask for your help.  I don't want to make another mistake, like I did with this damned band!  I'd appreciate any information you can send my way.
Ara Keshishian
on 11/25/09 7:32 am - Glendale, CA
 Hello,
There are animations on our site at:

http://www.dssurgery.com/aboutus/media.php
Sleeve gastrectomy is part of the DS. They have different outcomes.
Hope this helps.
Ara
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

pepsi98
on 11/26/09 10:22 am - Norwich, CT
On November 25, 2009 at 3:32 PM Pacific Time, keshishiana wrote:
 Hello,
There are animations on our site at:

http://www.dssurgery.com/aboutus/media.php
Sleeve gastrectomy is part of the DS. They have different outcomes.
Hope this helps.
Ara
Dr. Keshishian,
Have you ever done a revision DS on an old gastric stapling from 1982?  I don't think there is any mesh involved, but of course the  hospital records are destroyed at this point in time.

Thanks,
Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Ara Keshishian
on 11/26/09 11:44 am - Glendale, CA
 Hello,
I have done revisions from the Gastric operations. I have seen some with the mesh (marlex) erosion and I have also seen some with no mesh erosion.
Hope this helps
Ara
 Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

MsBatt
on 11/26/09 7:54 am
Carbs ARE addicting. That said, I do still eat them---but I'm also almost six years post-DS. I just try to NOT eat them until lunchtime or later.

Re the "smelly gas" bit---any malabsorptive surgery---which both the RNY and the DS are---will change the way your gas smells. Just a fact of life, and from some of the threads I've read, the DSer farts are no worse than the "paint-peeling" farts I hear countless RNYers talking about. Personally, my gas smells different, but no worse, than it did pre-op---and I actually have LESS of it.

The Sleeve is just the stomach part of the DS. The 'DS' part stands for 'Duodenal Switch', which is where the malabsorption---and actual metabolic CHANGE---comes in. For those of us who've yo-yo dieted for years and totally screwed up our metabolism, malabsorption is our best chance of sustained weight loss, and the DS has been shown to give the VERY BEST long-term results.

Come on over to the DS board and talk with some people. We have many regular posters who have been revised from other surgeries, and I'm sure they'd be glad to share their experiences with you. Ms Cal Culator is a Band to DS revision, for one.
pepsi98
on 11/26/09 10:27 am - Norwich, CT
As a "failed" RNY (don't know if it failed me or if I failed it) but I can totally relate to the gas issue, however, since I've been taking probiotics each morning I  notice that gas (foul or not) is no longer an issue for me.  As for carbs, I too am addicted to them and the reason I TRY to stay away from them is because I feel they cause me inflammation, hence fluid retention...even "good carbs" do this to me.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Kerry J.
on 11/27/09 11:14 pm - Santa Clara, UT
You really should check out the DS Forum; lots of people there that are revisions from failed Lap Band. The gas is mostly DS, BS, it's no big deal at all and completely controllable.

If you want to live the rest of your life free of fat, pouch and band prison; the only solution is the DS as far as I can tell.

Kerry
roseyredgal
on 11/29/09 12:58 am
I did not have a lapband prior to my DS but I really wanted one.That was until I met the surgeon.He did warn me about possible gas issues. Now that aI have a DS, I am very positive I had the correct  surgery for me. 
I too had an addiction to carbs. I really don't crave them  any longer.    I do eat poorly every now and again  If you eat foods you should not, your body will tell you. You really will learn to eat better and feel better.  The reward is so great!
I have a met a few people that have revisid to the DS from a band. ALL of them are very happy now.
Go speak to a good revision surgeon about your options.  Since you have a band, you should bge able to have any surgery.  my personal suggestion would be the DS. I would not recommend the VSG, since its restrictive only.  Go to the DS board and see how many people are not happy with a DS.

Good luck and do not let this get you down.Think positive and know you are working hard to get healthy!!

Take care,
Rose
Most Active