question

paulagslp
on 11/22/09 10:12 am - Springville, NY
Well, I haven't had any WLS yet.  My husband had his RNY on 10/21/09 and is having a little bit of buyer's remorse.  I am looking into the LAP BAND and RNY. I was wondering the main reason people have the revision and any advice people could give a prospective 1st timer.

sreed1966
on 11/22/09 10:25 am - Livonia, MI
Well, I can just tell you from my own experience. I had the lapband "installed" in May 2005. I did great with it, I started at 235 and got down to 150. I loved my band and was a perfect bandster. One day last year, it literally quit working. I woke up with terrible GERD....had to get unfilled....and every time since then, I would get a fill...even a very small amount, and the same thing would happen. Seems like alot of us that have had the band for over 5 years are having the same issues. I'm having RNY Dec. 29th.
missnanajean
on 11/23/09 1:14 pm - Friendswood, TX
I had lapband 20 mo.s ago with no wt.loss.  no other problems with it. I was fiiled to 6.5 with no restriction . I did everything I was supposed to but my body had been on  so many modified fast diets it would't release the wt and fluid. I just had RNY 18 days ago. I am eating the same things I have for the past 2 yr.s and have lost 18# and feel pleasingly satisfied for the first time. I have eaten a couple things that didn't go well  so won't eat those again and am a little lacto intolerant but  no vomiting.Even though I still have a little discomfort It's worth it to lose the wt. and be healthy. When I had the band  my port site was always sore. I feel so much better now. My advise research everything you can. I didn't get the RNY first because I was scared. I had a friend years ago who almost died. I now know she did everything wrong from what she ate to not taking vitamins. I now have so many friends who have lost  wt. and maintained their goals and look and feel healthy that I felt confident  I would be okay  and I am . I will be okay if I continue to follow the cues from my body, take my vitamins and keep attending and connectiting with the support network. This is what I've observed to be the keys to sucess. Good Luck!!
  Miss  Jean   
heatherlowrymom
on 11/25/09 1:36 pm
I wouldn't do the band again. Too many complications. Too many times of feeling like I was having a heart attack because anything I ate got stuck, even when I chewed like I was supposed to. My surgeon and his support time talk about the time period that people have "buyer's remorse" and say it is somehwat common. It is a major change that he has to get used to! It has only been a month, and this is about the time that it kicks in. Give him some time, talk to the support team, and keep going, it will only get better! Good luck!
Most Active