Need info on RNY revisions

Michele M.
on 11/5/09 11:31 pm - Crystal Lake, IL
Been ages since I have been on here but I was curious I am 3 yrs and 3 months out of Gastric Bypass surgury and have lost with gains a total of  117 lbs  after my losses and gaines. My question is what has to be the qualifier for revision and what do they do on gastric bypass revisions?  I am now at 288 started over 400 but i have been at a stand still and also gained 20 or more in teh past 2.5 years but I really know nothing about revisions on my surg.  How common is it I know I can eat WAY too much now I have to be stretched out because I can tell it is a huge difference in what i can eat now compared to the first year.  After being 3 years out and i was pretty much problem free with my rny asside from loosing a bunch of hair :(   I have DR Hoelgen in IL if anyone has had him or the RNY revision and why and how that went for you ???

450/406/252/175  (Highest -198/Pre-op/Current -154/Goal) 

katies2angels
on 11/6/09 4:52 am
Hi Michelle

I know I gained weight 7 years after my original gastric bypass surgery.  The qualifier is 100 pounds over body weight BMI, any medical conditions such as sleep apnea? diabetes? high blood pressure? Joint problems? I developed sleep apnea and spinal stenosis and was approved for my RNY revision which was done on October 27th.  One of my doctors said it is very common for the pouch to strech causing us to overeat and not feeling full.
So far I am recouperating on full liquids learning how to eat again.  I live in New York and am sorry haven't heard of your doctor.  The reason why the RNY was redone again because my surgeon said it was less evasive and safer.  I put my trust in my doctor hopefully this time it will work again for me.  I hope this helps.

Take care.

Kathleen
Michele M.
on 11/8/09 2:04 pm - Crystal Lake, IL
Thanks for the reply Kathleen, all of my medical conditions improved with the original surg i had diabetes, high blood pressure, gastric reflux, joint pain etc.  however I am still 100 lbs over the ideal body weight for my age and height.  So you having the RNY redone this time did they just just trim off the excess that stretched out?  Is there a way they can see that it stretched out?  I am just curious how to even aproach this with my surgeon and if there are tests that they can tell if that is what happened which I know it has to be with being all that i am able to eat.  Oh so you just redid yours i hope you are doing well!! 
katies2angels
on 11/8/09 8:43 pm
Your welcome.  I had the procedure done on Oct 27th.  Besides making the pouch smaller, the doctor also took 3 feet off my small intestines.

I had an upper GI series and it showed the pouch streched out you have to get a copy of those films for your doctor. 

The problem I had after all this time I still couldn't eat, strange the pouch streched.  My main issue was drinking.  Every time I tried to drink I felt like I was drowning the fluid was drip drip down not the usual just going down.

All I can suggest is you talking to your doctor discussing options for a revision this is what I did he said the least evasive procedure is redoing my rny. Believe me you aren't along it seems our originial surgery has a high failure rate in long term cases.  I wish we knew that my primarcy care physician told me that it was written up in what ever medical magazines they get.

I wish you luck, let me know what happens, I am doing better 2 weeks as of Tuesday, each day a little better.

Take care.

kathleen
Michele M.
on 11/8/09 2:05 pm - Crystal Lake, IL
Debbie M.
on 11/6/09 5:26 am
HI Michele - I had a RNY in 2002, lost 175lbs, then gained 175lbs.  I'm going to have a revision to a BPD/DS since the RNY obviously didn't work for me.  I need a procedure that has a malabsorption component, restriction alone doesn't work in my case.  I suggest you do some research on the Duodental Switch before you make up your mind.  I know I don''t want to make a 2nd mistake - go to www.dsfacts.com or www.duodentalswitch.com to read and learn more about it.
Good Luck in whatever decision you make.  It's a lot to think about.
Debbie
Michele M.
on 11/8/09 2:07 pm - Crystal Lake, IL
Wow I bet that was hard that is a lot of weight to loose and then gain back.  I was going to look into the DS thanks for the sites.  thanks for the reply and the help with the sites :)
MSSDONNA
on 11/10/09 6:57 am - NATCHEZ, MS
Hi  Debbie,  I had a RNY in september 2005. My weight is 190 and I am 5 foot 6 inches. I am having malaborption problems and I saw your post and was wanting to know more about the malabsorption component, does that help my case? Thanks Donna
shele
on 11/6/09 8:04 pm

Hey Michele,

You will most likely have to have some testing to see if there is a mechanical failure. I did not have a qualifying bmi when I got my revision,  My ins even stopped covering it. But due to it being a mechanical failure and me having ulcers, they covered it. 

Please research, Debbie is giving you good info!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Michele M.
on 11/8/09 2:08 pm - Crystal Lake, IL