Thinking about revison Surgery -- But Don't know where to start??

NCMtnGirl
on 11/3/09 9:12 am
Hi everyone...

I had RNY Gastric By Pass in 2001.  I had a great run for the first 5 years, ended up in an abusive relationship and my eating patterns got worse along with the pouch streching.  Now I am just over 300lbs again and am thinking about revison surgery.

I dont know if revision is somthing I should do.. or maybe some type of band?  I also do not have insurance right now and am looking for any advice about what companies those of you have had success with. 

I had my original survery in Nashville at Vanderbilt, but live in western NC now.

Thanks for any advice!
Deborah
beemerbeeper
on 11/5/09 9:57 am - AL
Hi,
I live in these beautiful mountains too.

I can't really advise other than to make sure you know about ALL of your options.  I had the DS just so I could avoid the situation you have found yourself in.  I think the RnY failed you.  I hope you will find the revision that is best for you.

Becky

Ara Keshishian
on 11/7/09 3:42 pm - Glendale, CA
 Talk to as many surgeons as possible and ask for scientific proof for their recommendation.
Scientific proof should include being able to give you reports of publications in support of their recommendations more that "their personal experience".

The best patient is the most knowledgeable patient.

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

smilyldy
on 11/13/09 8:49 am - CA

Deborah,

I am in almost the exact same spot as you.  Had RNY in 1998.  Lost about 100lbs.  Also was in an extremely bad relationship and also gained weight.  Even so, ended up putting most of the weight back on again.  I have been working with someone to re-learn good eating habits and dealing with emotional eating so it doesn't happen again.

In the meantime, I have been looking into revision to lapband.  I was working with Aetna PPO for a year, but it had an exclusion so it was denied.  I wil be changing to Aetna HMO at the beginning of the year and we will see what happens.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but I would say to for sure educate yourself!

Kierstien

Most Active