Revision Surgery for Enlarged "Tube" from Pouch

migblock
on 10/5/09 8:03 am - Lake Hiawatha, NJ
I have not been feeling full at all (actually since day one of the surgery which was over 1 year ago) and now my intestines seems to get bloated and I get a terrible pain.  I'd been telling my surgeon since day one that I was able to eat way over 8 ounces of food and have never felt any type of restriction whatsoever.  I told me that it was my imagination.

Via en endoscopy, I just found out that the tube leading from the pouch to the intestine is too wide -- thus the food flows right out of the pouch into the intestine.

Has anyone had a revison done to correct this problem?  If so, did insurance cover it?  (I have lost close to 190 lbs., but I am afraid that I will start eating way too much (even if they are the "correct" foods) and I want to fix this problem before it really becomes a problem (as in weight gain). 

I would love to hear from anyone who has/had this problem and or procedure done.  Thanks!
Renee M.
on 10/5/09 8:21 am
Are you referring to a stretched-stoma? (That creates the "tube" effect)

There's not much to fix that, except maybe a revision to a different surgery-type. (ie: Duodenal Switch)  There's "Stomafyx" (which ironically can only be done on patients with both an enlarged stoma AND pouch), and other endoscopic procedures such as the "Rose procedure" and a couple others, but none of the endoscopic surgeries have solid results yet, and most insurance companies won't pay for them.

A lot of insurance companies require specifically that the pouch be majorly enlarged (not the stoma) and it's pretty hard to get a revision approved.  I am currently having the same problem (I have a stretched pouch AND stretched stoma, but the stoma is "wide open" and though I still have some restriction when I eat, I am starving within 30-45 min. of every meal because everything is going straight through.)

Hopefully someone will have better info or news than I have to offer, lol, but I've been dealing with this problem since my original surgery (6 yrs ago) and have been seeking someone to fix it, and insurance approval, for the last 3 yrs. 

migblock
on 10/5/09 8:23 am - Lake Hiawatha, NJ
Thanks for your reply.  It's nice to know that I am not the only one with this problem.  I wish you a lot of luck in your search to resolve this problem.  Again, thanks!
Most Active