ERNY

Libby S.
on 9/28/09 3:17 am - Mobile, AL
 Hi All,

I am investigating revision options.  My original procedure was an open RNY and a recent upper GI revealed that the original bypass is still functioning but the anastomosis (what is this?) has stretched to 17mm in diameter and there is no delay in emptying now.

I have learned a little about the ROSE procedure but am afraid that I will not lose enough weight with it, and my insurance will only pay for one revision in a lifetime.

I would really love to hear from anyone that has had ERNY.  

Thank you so much.

Libby

Teena A.
on 9/28/09 3:27 am, edited 9/28/09 3:27 am - Mesquite, TX
See definition of anastomosis below.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roux-en-Y_anastomosis

Also see post under this one regarding the Rose.

I would also suggest that you do a search in the box at the top of the page on the right hand side.

Type in the following and start reading: DS, ERNY, band over bypass (Bob), Rose, Stomaphyx.

There are a lot of procedures out there.

Not all of them work the way you may need them to for your situation so I ask that you research thoroughly and email people and ask as many questions as you need to make sure you make the right choice.

I wish I could tell you more, but if you go to my profile you may learn a little more.

Under my name is Latest Posts..if you go back a few months you will find all of my links where I was researching ERNY (Distal Gastric Bypass depending on the common channel)

I have done a lot of research and will be having a revision to ERNY in 10 days.

Good luck.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Libby S.
on 9/28/09 3:37 am - Mobile, AL
 Thank you, Teena.

So Distal Gastric Bypass is the same thing as ERNY ?  

I spoke by email with Dr. Garber about the Rose and he said he does not recommend ERNY, but I wonder if that is because he does not do that procedure ?  He said I am a candidate for Rose or band over bypass.

Thank you for your input, and good luck on your upcoming revision !

Libby
Teena A.
on 9/28/09 3:45 am - Mesquite, TX
Libby,

Depending on your common channel yes it is.

Doctors are always telling you not to do a procedure if they do not perform it or know much about it.

ERNY is a very serious surgery for  a lot of reasons.

All surgery is not to be taken lightly.

He also may have said that because with ERNY and DS you have to be compliant with your follow ups, vitamins, and lab work as it could mean the difference between life or death.

Please do your research and you will see what I mean.

Thank you for the well wishes regarding my surgery.

There will be some people posting later who have had ERNY already to share their info with you.

Teena Adler

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

Teena A.
on 9/29/09 10:44 am - Mesquite, TX
I forgot to mention you live where I was born and most of my family still live.

How is the weather there now?

Teena Adler

Libby S.
on 9/30/09 5:22 am - Mobile, AL
 No kidding ! Small world, isn't it?  The weather is GREAT today - just hit the low 50's last night for the first time this season.  It is supposed to be a beautiful weekend.  Do you ever come to Mobile to visit?
shele
on 9/29/09 11:46 pm

Hey,

I have an erny. I also have the dialated stoma.  I have restriction, but my food empties fast!

Erny requires the same or more vitamins and lab work as the ds.

I have had wound complications that are said to have hampered my weight loss.

I was at the Dr, last week, had a surgery for a wound problem. Went back yesterday and have gained 8 pounds! in a week! I have had no appetite at all and have hardly eaten in 7 days LOL. So they may be right for the cause of the slower than slow loss.

I will tell you I had the erny because I have 5 kids, 15.15(not twins LOL) 13 11 and 4. I was affraid of complications.  Well if I had it to do over... i would do the full ds revision.

This has to be your choice, keep reading and researching!  You will know when and what to do!

Good luck

P>S  anyone reading my posts as of late... sorry for the typos, bad grammar,,etc... I'm on Lortab for all the pain.!@

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

mew6495
on 9/30/09 12:13 am - MI
On September 28, 2009 at 10:17 AM Pacific Time, Libby S. wrote:
 Hi All,

I am investigating revision options.  My original procedure was an open RNY and a recent upper GI revealed that the original bypass is still functioning but the anastomosis (what is this?) has stretched to 17mm in diameter and there is no delay in emptying now.

I have learned a little about the ROSE procedure but am afraid that I will not lose enough weight with it, and my insurance will only pay for one revision in a lifetime.

I would really love to hear from anyone that has had ERNY.  

Thank you so much.

Libby

Hello Libby,

I had ERNY a year ago.  I am at goal and feel much better mentally and physically.  While I have had good results with my revision I do know of others who have had some struggles.

I would not recommend the ROSE simply because it does not seem to have very good long term results and very limited short term results.  I am with Shele, If your insurance covers it and if you feel you can accept the risk involved I would recommend the DS revision.  Pop over to their board and I am sure you will get a wealth of information.  Just make sure if you go this route you get a VERY QUALIFIED RNY to DS revision surgeon.  There are only a hand full across the country.

Best of luck to you.

Most Active