help need your comments

rebecca W.
on 9/22/09 6:17 am - KY
I would like to know if you had to have your surgery over again, what surgery would you choose ?And  why you would chose that surgery choice?  I don,t want to ever have a revision if I can help it!!!!!  I,m tring to find the correct choice of surgery the first time.   THANKS ALOT
rebecca w.
mew6495
on 9/22/09 8:41 am - MI
 There are many choices and a lot of your choice depends on your personal cir****tances and what you can live with.

If you are looking for a highly malabsorption along with restriction the DS seems to have very good long term statistics.  I would suggest checking out the DS and RNY boards or all of them (wls boards) for that matter.  I had RNY in 2001.  Never heard of the DS when I had my original surgery.  I may have went for the RNY again but I would have definitely chosen a more distal rather then proximal procedure.  Research all option and all side effects.  Every WLS has them. 

Good Luck

rebecca W.
on 9/22/09 1:26 pm - KY
I would like to thank you for your reply.I,m checking only on rny and ds,my insurace covers both and personally  I see to many failers with the band even though my insurance covers it too. My fear is I,ll make the wrong choice!
rebecca w.
PekinSal
on 9/25/09 7:31 am - UK
What is difficult to calculate is how easy your body will lose weight in reaction to any of the surgeries. Looking back I know now that I should have chosen the 'strongest' surgery first time round, because I had effectively messed up my metabolism many years ago.

I had been overweight from birth virtually (thanks to genetics) and stayed that way despite the full variety of diets, frantic exercise and whatever. All the time I thought 'one more diet will do it' but the combination of history, body chemistry (PCOS, diabetes eventually) made that unlikely.

So the band was wrong for me - didn't realise that at the time. RNY would probably have been wrong too, and sleeve also. I should have had the full strength DS at the start, but it's hard to get that perspective until you've tried one! I still havent lost all I want to after 18 months, so I'd be even more disappointed with anything else.

DS revision from failed lapband

shele
on 9/26/09 7:50 am
DS

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

rebecca W.
on 9/29/09 5:30 am - KY
I would like to thank all of you that helped,ds it is!!!!!  The Dr. I,ll be using takes my insurance for ds!!! THANKS AGAIN
rebecca w.
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/09 6:32 am - AZ
On September 29, 2009 at 12:30 PM Pacific Time, rebecca W. wrote:
I would like to thank all of you that helped,ds it is!!!!!  The Dr. I,ll be using takes my insurance for ds!!! THANKS AGAIN

This is not wise.  You don't ask a handful of people which is the right surgery choice and run with the majority.  You have to live with this surgery type for the rest of your life, make sure it is the right one.

I would never do well with DS because I do not care for large quantities of high fat foods.  I do not eat much meat.  I am an "almost" vegetarian so DS would be the last surgery type that would work for me.  I would also not be the least bit compliant with the supplement routine.

You need to learn about all the surgery types, which eating behaviors you have and take it from there.  All types have their pros and cons.  Until you know all of that you cannot just close your eyes and pick a surgery type like Pin The Tail On The Donkey.

shele
on 9/29/09 6:16 am
Please dont take this the wrong way, but you still need to research this alot! There are many vitamin REQUIREMENTS that you need to make sure that you can live with.  I am not at all trying to discourage you!  Just want you to be prepared!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

rebecca W.
on 9/29/09 9:36 am - KY
Ladies,I,ve been waiting for several years,and yes I,ve read alot on the band my reason no to many failers,slippage,and very few sucessfull results!!! Rny look at those on your revision board,look at dumping,no quality of life,and yes rny still have to take vitamins and minerals,the only rny I even had thought about was distal,to many failed poximals!!!  Why would alot of revision go ds? Look I,m a diabetic on injectables 4x a day with heart problems,so throw up can weak,in the heart.Well now there is the sleeve,it part way to get the full DS, so I well get the whole ds at once verses two surgeries! If you think I still need to do further research let me no why my pcp wanted me to take a closer look at ds. My doctor says ds has a 99 percent cure for my diabetes verses 89 percent rny!! My pcp asked me to think about wls,over 3 years ago,I,m afraid of making the wrong choice!!!
shele
on 9/29/09 11:36 pm

I had the rny and if had the chance to do it again... I would run to a ds dr.  There are many successful rnyers out there, I wasn't one of them. I now have erny, which is the same malasorbtion as a ds. But due to having wls already and a slow metabolism,,, My loss is extremely slow.  Right now I am dealling with I believe my 3rd wound problem. The Dr, says thats why I am not loosing.

The ds is definately the platinum standard in wls, just want you to know that it is not easy to keep up with all the vitamins and such.  You will have to be very dilligent and have your labs done.

I just want you to be prepared for the worse, and hope for the best!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Most Active