Hungry

llittle
on 9/20/09 2:02 am - w farmington, ON
Did anyone experience hugh hunger one month after surgery.  I have only lost 20 lbs. since 8/17/09.  But now that I'm feeling better, I am hungry all of the time.  I can't figure it out.
Blessings

fullofjoy

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 7:29 am - AZ
On September 20, 2009 at 9:02 AM Pacific Time, llittle wrote:
Did anyone experience hugh hunger one month after surgery.  I have only lost 20 lbs. since 8/17/09.  But now that I'm feeling better, I am hungry all of the time.  I can't figure it out.

I'd venture a guess that 100% of us experience head hunger at one time or another.

Surgery doesn't fix out head, just stomach size. ;o)

mew6495
on 9/20/09 9:33 am - MI
On September 20, 2009 at 9:02 AM Pacific Time, llittle wrote:
 Hi Little,

20 lbs in one month is AWESOME!  CONGRATULATIONS!  Shoot I can still remember the days prior to wls where if I lost 2 lbs in a month that was doing good...  Don't be so hard on yourself.  As long as the scale is going in the right direction you will get there.  Not a race to be had here.  ;-)

I have good days and bad days as far as feeling hungry.  Some days I seem to can't get enough....I focus on just adding more protein as my body can use all it can get.  Maybe you are feeling so hungry right now because your body just went through a surgery trauma and it is still trying to heal.  Give it time it will improve.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Teena A.
on 9/20/09 1:10 pm, edited 9/20/09 1:11 pm - Mesquite, TX
OMG!

You have down very well thus far.

Congrats on your weight loss.

20 lbs is incredible.

Be very proud of yourself.

I cannot relate as I did not really ever get my hunger back after WLS.

I have to remind myself to eat and that is wrecking havoc on my eating habits.

Just be sure to do your protein first and get in the maximum amount in daily and to get in at least 64 oz of water a day.

Are you hungry all of the time or does it happen only when you are bored?

Have you tried keeping a food journal like on fitday.com or sparkpeople.com to see if maybe you have specific times during the day when your hunger is more than other times during the day?

The only thing I would recommend is to be sure that you are not eating empty calories when you are hungry.

Make sure that you make your calories count.

I wish you well with your weight loss journey.

Keep us updated
and keep up the great work.
Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

shele
on 9/20/09 5:07 pm

You are doing great in the loss department!!! If you are hungry, EAT! Just make sure it is solid proteins!! It will not hurt you!

Keep it up!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

llittle
on 9/20/09 10:24 pm - w farmington, ON
Thanks everyone for the great advise.  I am finally able to handle skim milk.  I am so glad about because I really did not like the taste of the other milks that were available.  I mix half milk and half water for protein shakes.  I'm only drinking 1 a day.  I don't want to get sick of them.  I will keep posting.  I need you guys.  Even though I wasn't posting, just being able to read when I was sick helped me so much. 
Thanks everyone!
Blessings

fullofjoy

Teena A.
on 9/21/09 4:40 am - Mesquite, TX
Hey have you tried soy milk?

I hate hate hate all regular milk, but soy milk is the bomb.

It comes in various flavors.

If you have not tried it yet check it out.

Teena Adler
Facebook Contact Info/Email address:Skyedan[email protected]
10/09/09 - Distal Gastric Bypass (ERNY) Revision - Common Channel 90

"Never Let People,Places,Or Things Stand In Your Way Of Fulfilling Your Goals And Living Out Your Dreams." Teena Adler

llittle
on 9/21/09 5:09 am - w farmington, ON
Thanks Teena.  My son only drinks soy.  I am able to drink skim milk again.  Just a few days ago I had my 1st protein drink without getting sick.  I do have to mix it with 1/2 water though.  Milk just seems so thick right now. 
Blessings

fullofjoy

reenieb
on 9/23/09 3:56 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi there - I'm sorry that you're having a rough time of it, especially since you are experiencing some great results. Hang in there. What you are describing does not sound at all like head hunger as someone here suggests. Head hunger is not a feeling that is "all of the time." If you are physically hungry all of the time, you need to ask yourself if it is possible that you have stretched your pouch or stoma. You would have stretched your pouch by eating too much, not stopping when you were satiated. Your stoma would stretch if you are not taking the time to eat slowly and with very small bites. Only you can answer these questions. But if you can look back since your surgery and identify times when you were behaving this way - eating way too much in one sitting, or eating way too fast to the point you felt physical discomfort - you may have stretched your tools and this won't fix itself. You will need to talk to your surgeon. Take care, keep us posted. Maureen
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Most Active