Just the lower (malabsorption) part of the DS is called ERNY?

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/09 8:52 am - KY

I know some surgeons suggest doing just the lower part of the Duodenal Switch if you've had the RNY.  They suggest to leave the pouch alone and just do the malabsorption part.  My question is......would you then call the lower part of the DS just an ERNY or would you call it a Distal?  Trying to learn the difference here.  Thanks to anyone who knows.  Pat in Kentucky

JRinAZ
on 8/31/09 9:31 am - Layton, UT
On August 31, 2009 at 3:52 PM Pacific Time, patken24 wrote:

I know some surgeons suggest doing just the lower part of the Duodenal Switch if you've had the RNY.  They suggest to leave the pouch alone and just do the malabsorption part.  My question is......would you then call the lower part of the DS just an ERNY or would you call it a Distal?  Trying to learn the difference here.  Thanks to anyone who knows.  Pat in Kentucky

Hi Pat,
Whether it's referred to as a Distal or an ERny may depend on the length of the common channel or it may depend on the surgeon.  Long before I'd ever heard of an ERny; I knew of Distals.  I'm on quite a few grad groups and many Distals hang there.  It seems that ERny's such as myself, are from the last 3 years or so.  Maybe the ASBS redefined the terms, not sure.

Anyway, for lots and lots of details regarding both, you can type Distal or ERny (Extended Rny) in the SEARCH of this site and then read some of the many back posts.

good luck with your journey!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/09 6:29 am - KY
What would you call a 100 cm common channel? 
Most Active