Stomaphyx Results! Positive Inquiries Only

Zee Starrlite
on 7/30/09 5:22 am, edited 7/30/09 5:29 am
I am thinking that many people are hoping for a miracle to keep them from being Fat again but it doesn't work that way- maybe that is why so many people have failed....

Oh, so everyone else who has had these procedures ( ROSE, Stomaphyx etc.) "screwed up"  AND you're going to do it right

Honey, they weren't looking for a miracle, they were trying to get a "working tool".  If you were willing to work diet and exercise right now, you'd need not any type of revision as you'd have control or willpower.  We need tools to help us with our hunger and restriction - some need more malabsorbtion.  2 to 5% of people who lose weight with diet and exercise alone regain it.  That is why I personally need a working tool.

If my band stopped being a working tool, I'd regain.

I really hope this disappointing surgery works for you  BUT it upsets me that you think everyone else who had it fail did something wrong.  Most lose weight immediately post-op and during the  the liquid mushie phase then most regain as the surgery usually does absolutely NOTHING.

Good Luck with that.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

mcnealjw
on 7/30/09 5:41 am - Louisa, VA
StomaphyX on 07/31/09 with
You know- I have to disagree with your saying that everyone else who had these procedures screwed up.  You took what I said and blew it way out of context- but that is okay because I know how hard the road is... and you are right, if I had the willpower to work a diet and excersize I wouldn't need a revision.  Fortunately I only have 30lbs to lose.  I think that people consider these surgeries, self included the first time around, not a working tool but a solution.  Now, there are a few folks that have serious problems and need revisions but for many, many people- they want a solution.  Something that makes them skinny.  A working tool, aka, something that forces me not to eat..... and unfortunately nothing like that has ever been invented.  Not everyone in the world reports on this website- that has had these types of procedures.  I asked for positive feedback because I spent time reading all of the negative things that people had to say and I felt like many of them, NOT ALL, were looking for an easy way out of not gaining weight.  And you are right to say that we need willpower or psychological help, not a surgery every time.  With any of these surgeries you have to go back to eating a somewhat normal consistancy food, which means you will not lose as fast, but if your choices are healthier then you would not gain weight, surgery or not, and that is OBVIOUS as you said yourself.  So for some people *****gained weight from the stomaphyx, i feel like they are complaining about themselves but taking it out on a surgery that could truly work for someone that will work for it....... 
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/09 6:54 am - AZ
On July 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM Pacific Time, mcnealjw wrote:
You know- I have to disagree with your saying that everyone else who had these procedures screwed up.  You took what I said and blew it way out of context- but that is okay because I know how hard the road is... and you are right, if I had the willpower to work a diet and excersize I wouldn't need a revision.  Fortunately I only have 30lbs to lose.  I think that people consider these surgeries, self included the first time around, not a working tool but a solution.  Now, there are a few folks that have serious problems and need revisions but for many, many people- they want a solution.  Something that makes them skinny.  A working tool, aka, something that forces me not to eat..... and unfortunately nothing like that has ever been invented.  Not everyone in the world reports on this website- that has had these types of procedures.  I asked for positive feedback because I spent time reading all of the negative things that people had to say and I felt like many of them, NOT ALL, were looking for an easy way out of not gaining weight.  And you are right to say that we need willpower or psychological help, not a surgery every time.  With any of these surgeries you have to go back to eating a somewhat normal consistancy food, which means you will not lose as fast, but if your choices are healthier then you would not gain weight, surgery or not, and that is OBVIOUS as you said yourself.  So for some people *****gained weight from the stomaphyx, i feel like they are complaining about themselves but taking it out on a surgery that could truly work for someone that will work for it....... 

>> I asked for positive feedback because I spent time reading all of the negative things that people had to say and I felt like many of them, NOT ALL, were looking for an easy way out of not gaining weight.<<

You mean like.... diet and exercise?

Then you also write:

>> if I had the willpower to work a diet and excersize I wouldn't need a revision.<<

Do you see something wrong here?

I only point this out because I'm seeing a huge wad of denial on your part.  I think we all go through it to some degree but to be honest at this stage of the game that kind of denial probably shouldn't be there.

I feel like you are looking for someone to validate your choice.  Isn't that why you only want positive results posting here?  I have a hunch that 99% success rate your surgeon claims is a load.  Perhaps people do lose in the beginning, the post op diet is guaranteed to make you lose.  But do those people keep it off at 5 years?  The answer is no.  Well, except your sugeon's patients. ;o)

Look, anyone who is willing to self pay for a revision wants it badly.  They wanted it as much as you and for the same reasons.  It's not the people, it's the procedure.

mcnealjw
on 7/30/09 9:22 am - Louisa, VA
StomaphyX on 07/31/09 with
It is unfortunate that you have to criticize me for wanting to hear about a positive experience.  I only asked for positive experience in my title because I have spent weeks reading all of the negative ones and did not need to here them again.  Of course I want to here success results from someone.  I have decided to make this decision and I am not going to back out no matter what anyone says, I was just hoping for positive results and what do you know I found someone.  Now-  If you say that the post op diet is guaranteed to make you lose!  HELLO- if that is the case, which it is, that is the same as ALL WLS!  Don't you always start off with a diet you don't stick to?  I believe that you do-  You also assume I am self pay, nice.  What did you try for the stomaphyx and get denied, which helps you to criticize the results?  No one would know the 5 year results because the surgery hasn't been around that long.  As with anything.  Someone once took a chance on the RNY and look where we are now.  Even the original people lost a tremendous amount of weight.  We all take chances.  It is how well we work at them that makes us successful.  Unfortunately I gained 30lbs. because I was slacking off... Yes...  so I hope that with this surgery and a complete instead of half change in lifestyle will change my life.
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/09 9:33 am - AZ
On July 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM Pacific Time, mcnealjw wrote:
It is unfortunate that you have to criticize me for wanting to hear about a positive experience.  I only asked for positive experience in my title because I have spent weeks reading all of the negative ones and did not need to here them again.  Of course I want to here success results from someone.  I have decided to make this decision and I am not going to back out no matter what anyone says, I was just hoping for positive results and what do you know I found someone.  Now-  If you say that the post op diet is guaranteed to make you lose!  HELLO- if that is the case, which it is, that is the same as ALL WLS!  Don't you always start off with a diet you don't stick to?  I believe that you do-  You also assume I am self pay, nice.  What did you try for the stomaphyx and get denied, which helps you to criticize the results?  No one would know the 5 year results because the surgery hasn't been around that long.  As with anything.  Someone once took a chance on the RNY and look where we are now.  Even the original people lost a tremendous amount of weight.  We all take chances.  It is how well we work at them that makes us successful.  Unfortunately I gained 30lbs. because I was slacking off... Yes...  so I hope that with this surgery and a complete instead of half change in lifestyle will change my life.

I did not criticize you.  I was honest with you though.  If you choose to take that as a slam I cannot control that.

I never claimed to try to get approved for stomaphyx.  I had a band and now I have a sleeve.  I have had a BMI of 20 for the last year or two.  So no, no personal reason to criticize Stomaphyx other than it has very poor results.  I don't need a personal reason to down the procedure, the personal experiences of those on this board and every other board do that for me.

You are right, there are no 5 year stats because people aren't maintaining a weight loss at ONE year.  That's why most surgeons choose not to do it.

Nobody is suggesting you can't have the surgery, nobody is refusing to let you have the surgery.  We dared to be honest with you.

JRinAZ
on 7/30/09 10:06 am - Layton, UT
Hi Louisa,
I was just going to sit this one out since some of the responses have been a bit on the rude side......BUT, you are scaring me to death!  ....  Kind of determined to go through with a fantasy whether there is proof of success or proof of failure.  Don't you care more for yourself than that?  You compare the Stomaphyx to other WLS but they have years of stats behind them and as you pointed out, the Stomaphyx is barely out in the market.

I too was scheduled for a stomaphyx and in fact was instrumental in introducing it to Arizona back in it's first weeks of being launched.  I have felt badly for all those friends that I originally encouraged to have it.  They wasted a lot of money!  I almost wasted a large portion of my savings as well but ended up being whisked to the O.R. for other reasons...and was able to get an ERny at the same time!  Thank Heaven's!!!  ......  You insinuate that you are not paying out of pocket which leads me to believe that you'll have insuirance coverage?  Just a year ago, the Stomaphyx company couldn't even give a code that could legally be submitted for insurance coverage.

You must have been open to feedback or you wouldn't have posted on the Revision forum?  Asking for "only" positives and then not receiving any with the exception of Jenny who is just days post-op, has got to tell you something?

Rather than being offended; perhaps you could soak it up and process it.  I'd highly recommend postponing your procedure until you have honest statistics to go from.  Is it really possible that the successes have just happily ridden off into the skinny sunset?

I'm sure others join me in wishing you the very best!  If you do go through with it then my hope is that you can be the one successful voice that may return to this site to inform others.

The road to good health and a tight & tiny body is challenging for all of us!  Best wishes!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/09 10:43 am - San Diego, CA
Brilliant post, Joyce! 
jeanyjane
on 7/30/09 7:32 am, edited 7/30/09 7:32 am - Germany
"Now, there are a few folks that have serious problems and need revisions but for many, many people- they want a solution.  Something that makes them skinny.  A working tool, aka, something that forces me not to eat..... and unfortunately nothing like that has ever been invented."

What`s wrong with wanting a solution to your weight problems? What`s wrong with wanting a working tool? And, how the hell shall people loose weight WITHOUT a working tool, WITHOUT a working surgery? If you feel you don`t need "the easy way out" and you can loose weight without "something that forces you not to eat" - why did you regain 30 pounds after having your RNY? If, according to your logics, all those people that havn`t sucess with the stomaphyx procedure are doing something wrong and you will be able to do it right, then, why wasn`t the RNY enough??

It is very true that no surgery type and no revision guarantees you to get skinny without working for it. But there are surgeries and revisions that do work and help people loosing a big amount of the weight they need to loose with doable effort. Speaking about revisions, that`s the DS surgery and, if you have smaller amounts of weight to loose (not much more then 50 pounds), the ERNY and maybe the lapband over RNY.
jonathan R.
on 8/2/09 12:27 am - east meadow, ny
 My surgeon says the Stomaphyx does not work and that the ROSE procedure is much better.  Look into having the ROSE procedure and don't waste your money on the Stomaphyx
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/09 4:17 am - AZ
On August 2, 2009 at 7:27 AM Pacific Time, jonathan R. wrote:
 My surgeon says the Stomaphyx does not work and that the ROSE procedure is much better.  Look into having the ROSE procedure and don't waste your money on the Stomaphyx

I agree that Stomaphyx is a poor surgery with bad results and is basically a huge waste of money.  Makes one wonder why your surgeon has done 110 of them yet only 30 ROSE procedures.

www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+profile+ Shawn+Garber+fcc.html

Some things make you go Hmmmm.....

Most Active