So Glad I found this Forum

jeanyjane
on 7/9/09 12:59 am, edited 7/9/09 12:59 am - Germany
You can find a lot of statistics about the DS on www.dsfacts.com under articles. There are a number of studies that compare the DS and the RNY and the results of the DS are a lot better, while the risk is the same. The RNY often fails, there are so many people here needing revision from a failed RNY, and most would like to get the DS but face the problem that it`s a very complicated, risky revision that is only done by a few surgeons. Getting the a lapband to DS revision is so much easier then a RNY to DS revision, so it`s worth having a look into getting the DS straight away without taking the risk of another failure with the RNY.

If your insurence pays for WLS and the RNY, you have a very good chance to force them to cover the DS too - if you are willingly to stand up for your health and if your health allows you to wait. You can find out more about what you need to do to get your insurence to pay for the DS if you ask on the DS message board.

All the best!
sambone80
on 7/9/09 1:57 am - stanhope, NJ
Thanks for the insight, I actually called my insurance company and come to find out this type of surgery is actually covered but just was not listed with the rest of the services. Of course I would need to see that in writting as with anything with the insurance company but at least it is now more of an option.
smileyjamie72
on 7/9/09 7:32 am - Palmer, AK
Sambone,

That is good news that your insurance company actually covers all of the procedures.

My suggestion is to research, research, reseach!!!!  And post, you will get lots of feedback & information.

I, personally, am working on getting a revision from RNY to DS.  I will be through with my last appointment, and hopefully have the paperwork submitted by the end of the month.
It took me a very LONG time to admit to myself that I needed to do more to get my weight back off.  That was so hard to admit to myself, geeze!!!!!  Then, once I decided, I went to my PCP to get some guidance, and he started me on Phentermine, back in January.  Then, about 2 months later, I started reading & researching, and posting. 

Anyways, you can PM me if you would like, I have looked, read, and researched more, and I am still doing so, I have links if you are interested.  The offer is there.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

brandyII
on 7/9/09 6:20 am
Hi Sambone,

I'm fairly new as I just revised from my lapband to RNY on the 11th of June but so far so good.  I was one of those people that was never able to lose weight on the band and ended up gaining back my preop diet weight!  I also had GERD and had it removed due to that last October.  I was pretty distraught because of the fact I thought the band would work for me and it did not.  My daughter had the RNY after my banding and had been very successful so after having my band removed and the initial weight loss due to the fact that I could eat healthy foods again I started to fill up my old stomach and put on about 30 lbs.  That made me even more depressed and that's when I put in for the RNY.  I wasn't sure I would even attempt another WLS because I had lost faith in them as well as myself.

Anywho, like I said I'm new at RNY and can still only get in a little food at this point but liquids are going down fine.  I had been too tight with the band where I couldn't swallow my own spit and had to have an emergency unfill so I know what that's like. and I've lost a good 40 lbs so far something that never happened with the band.  I made my decision to go with RNY and I feel it was right for me.  Hopefully whatever decision you make will come easy for you too!  Good luck Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

NyteFlower
on 7/10/09 5:21 am - PA
Hiya,

I just wanted to add in my 2 cents about Dr. Greenbaum and his staff.  This is a first of all a process and it's most important to accept that and find a surgeon/staff that you feel cares about your best interest.  Many years ago I felt like I was just another among the herd going for an RNY but I accepted that as my best option then and was excited to start a new life.  Looking back, I didn't have all the options, I didn't know they existed because my surgeon and their program only touted the RNY and Band.  Even though I did come to this board, RNY was the golden standard and many poster just raved about its success for them.  Fast forward 5 years, some of them have had significant regain or never met goal in the first place, which relates to my story.  One surgery does not fit all, despite what many who belive in that particular surgery may say. So if you have to go outside of what your doctor may recommend and look into other surgeons and their programs to find one that meshes with what makes you comfortable, don't do anything less - this is your life, not theirs.  And success in one year is very different from success after 4 years plus.  Consider your lifestyle, the foods you actually enjoy and the ones you can give up without much hassle over the long run.  Taking supplements is also another consideration and how you feel about committing to that in your daily routine.

That being said, i'm in no way saying RNY is not a good option, for many it is.  For me it was not and why i'm seeking a RNY to DS revision. I contacted Dr. Greenbaum via email and he responded within an hour with caring words and encouragement.  Since the initial contact i've been in constant exchange with him and his staff while trying to get tests completed and the like.  They have been very responsive and helpful, which is by far more than my original surgeon and their team were.  I have spent more time in emails with this Dr. than I ever did speaking with my past surgeon before or after surgery.  So if I have to travel to see one of the best surgeons for wls in our country, i'll damn sure do it, but it's nice to find one as close as possible.  Recovery can be daunting and a li'l scary at first so that too can be a consideration when making a big decision such a this.

I wish you all the best and whatever you do, don't give up.  :)
JRinAZ
on 7/10/09 8:49 am - Layton, UT
Dr. Greenbaum sounds awesome!  Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted. 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

NyteFlower
on 7/10/09 10:21 am - PA
Hi Joyce,

Thank you also for being an advocate on these boards and helping to get info out there to those of us who are searching or just curious.  I strongly feel picking the right surgeon = better results and that we all are striving to make the right choices for our lives and medical cir****tance.  You are an example of that and sharing your story is a great help. :)

~* Tami *~
Most Active